Cal football tight end granted 6th year of eligibility

football_phillipdowney_file
Phillip Downey/File

Tight end Ray Hudson has been granted a sixth season of eligibility by the NCAA, Cal football head coach Justin Wilcox announced Tuesday.

“We are excited that Ray Hudson has been granted a sixth season of collegiate eligibility today by the NCAA,” Wilcox said in a statement. “Ray has made tremendous contributions to the Cal football program since his arrival, and we look forward to having his leadership and football skills in our program for the 2018 season.”

In 34 games with the Bears over his last three seasons, Hudson hauled in 34 receptions for 429 receiving yards.

Hudson’s best season with Cal came as a redshirt junior in 2016, when he totaled three touchdowns, 16 receptions and 165 receiving yards.

Hudson suffered a lower-body injury in training camp prior to the 2017 season, sidelining him for the year. The tight end missed all of 2013 because of an injury as well. Should he stay healthy next season, he’ll have the opportunity to end his tenure at Cal on his own terms.

“I am grateful for being granted the opportunity to continue my collegiate career at Cal,” Hudson said in a statement. “I look forward to returning to the field this season stronger physically and mentally to help this team in any way I can. I am grateful for all the support I have received from Cal Athletics, the coaching staff and fans. I look forward to running out of the North Tunnel at California Memorial Stadium again in 2018 to finish my collegiate career.”

Justice delos Santos is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @jdelossantos510