Cal men’s basketball guard out against USC

mhoops_karenchow_file
Karen Chow/File

Junior guard Don Coleman of Cal men’s basketball will miss the team’s Sunday afternoon matchup with USC because of a violation of team rules, according to a press release. Coleman was absent in his squad’s 70-57 loss to UCLA as well for the same reason.

With Coleman out against the Bruins, almost all of the Bears’ offense came from its starting five.

Senior guard Nick Hamilton, who came into the game averaging 14.2 minutes per game, played 30 minutes off the bench and scored all of the team’s 4 bench points. Freshman Deschon Winston, sophomore Roman Davis and senior Cole Welle played two minutes each and did not register any points.

In 20 games this season, Coleman is averaging 16.9 points, 3.0 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 1.4 steals per game.

Coleman is one of four players to start in 19 or more games for the Bears. The junior did not start in his last game, a loss to then-No. 16 Arizona State, but performed well off the bench, totaling 10 points, four rebounds, two assists and a steal in 29 minutes.

Justice delos Santos is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @jdelossantos510