Picks of the week: Art shows, dogs and the Lunar New Year

sfrecycling.com/Courtesy

This week features an abundance of art showcases, with artists from programs as varied as Berkeley City College’s Digital Artists Collective and Recology San Francisco’s Artist in Residence Program. Not only is it the Lunar New Year this Saturday, but you can welcome the Year of the Dog early through a “bring your own dog” comedy show in San Francisco this Thursday.

Monday, Jan. 29 | Digital Artists Collective’s 2018 Spring Show at Jerry Adams Gallery

Beginning Monday and running through Aug. 30, Berkeley City College’s Digital Artists Collective will host its annual Spring Show, featuring multimedia works from 17 student artists. A range of styles and aesthetics will be showcased at the show — you’ll find examples of the abstract, the traditional and everything in between, represented on prints produced by BCC’s own top-of-the-line facilities.

Tuesday, Jan. 30 | Art at the Dump: Gallery Walkthrough & Recycled Art Exhibit at Recology San Francisco

Recology San Francisco’s Artist in Residence Program grants local artists a stipend and access to scavenged materials, allowing them the chance to craft works that are both eco-friendly and aesthetically unique. On Tuesday, artists will be present to give a walk-through of the gallery, offering visitors a firsthand perspective of some of the Bay Area’s most unique artworks. The Tuesday 5-7 p.m. showing features a gallery walk-through by the artists at 6 p.m.

Thursday, Feb. 1 | B.Y.O.D. Bring Your Own Dog Comedy Show at El Rio in San Francisco

Bringing together two of people’s favorite things — comedy and dogs — is the premise of this unique comedy night that invites attendees to bring their dogs along. The night will offer plenty of humor by some of the Bay Area’s best comedians, as well as the enjoyable company of some really cute dogs. The first 15 people to sign up online will get in for free; otherwise, it will be just $5 at the door.

Friday, Feb. 2 | Oakland Art Murmur: First Friday Art Walk at Broadway/Telegraph in Oakland

On the first Friday of every month, local galleries of Oakland are open to the public for their evening art walk. Along with the abundance of art to check out, First Fridays also offers outdoor movies and plenty of food, making this a great way to spend your Friday evening. This enjoyable opportunity to discover new art is open from 6-9 p.m.

Saturday, Feb. 3 | Lunar New Year Street Festival at the Oakland Asian Cultural Center

If you’re looking to celebrate the Year of the Dog, this festival in the middle of Oakland’s Chinatown offers the perfect opportunity. This lively event will offer music and dance performances, as well as good food and plenty of hands-on arts and crafts, including lantern making! The celebration lasts from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and it is free for the public.

Contact The Daily Californian’s arts & entertainment staff at [email protected].