Cal football outside linebacker announces medical retirement

football-saffle-51_ethanepstein_file
Ethan Epstein/File

Cal football is losing another experienced member of the squad as junior Cameron Saffle announced his medical retirement. Saffle will continue to study at UC Berkeley and remain with the program.

Saffle was one of the first Bears to fall victim to the injury bug in 2017, as he suffered a season-ending injury in Cal’s season opener against North Carolina.

“It is with sadness yet immense gratitude to all those that have supported me over my career that it is time to step off the field to protect myself from any potential further debilitating injuries,” Saffle writes in an essay posted on CalBears.

Saffle didn’t have the opportunity to play his full senior year of high school because of both a meniscus tear and a second ACL tear.

After recovering from those injuries, Saffle became one of only three true freshmen to take the field on defense for the Bears in 2015, playing in eight games off the bench and recording 10 tackles. As a sophomore, Saffle started all 12 games for the Bears, recording 4.0 sacks and 57 tackles.

“Cameron Saffle is one of the finest individuals I have had the pleasure of coaching,” said Cal head coach Justin Wilcox in a press release. “It is unfortunate that he will not be able to continue playing football, but he has an incredibly bright future and will continue to be an important part of our program as he works towards his Cal degree. We will support him in achieving that goal and are looking forward to his ongoing contributions in a new role.”

Justice delos Santos is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @jdelossantos510