The first month of 2018 has come to a close; here are photos from The Daily Californian’s photo staff that capture the major stories in Berkeley this January.

weed_bpg_jjordan_file

First sales of recreational marijuana in Berkeley usher in ‘whole new era’

Mikki Norris, right, and her husband Chris Conrad are longtime marijuana advocates and were the first to buy recreational marijuana in Berkeley at 6 a.m. on Jan. 1.

sliver_erinhaar_file

Sliver Pizzeria opens new location on Telegraph Avenue

Popular pizza parlor Sliver Pizzeria opened its doors for its new location on Telegraph Avenue on Jan. 10 after the restaurant announced it would be relocating in December.

waybay_asleshakumar_staff

BAMFPA’s ‘Way Bay’ exhibits what Bay Area thinks about itself

The Berkeley Art Museum & Pacific Film Archive opened the new exhibit “Way Bay,” an exploration into the collective unconscious of the Bay Area. The collection boasts of art pieces by Bay Area artists, ranging from 19th-century depictions of the Ohlone people to on-location films from the early 20th century to contemporary poetry by local writers.

trewatson_football5_pdowney-18_file

Running back Tre Watson announces intent to transfer from Cal

Former Cal running back Tre Watson announced on Twitter that he will be transferring from Cal. Watson will pursue his master’s degree elsewhere and intends to play his last season of eligibility where he ends up enrolling.

brandymelville_erinhaarfile

‘A new era for Berkeley’: Brandy Melville opens Telegraph Avenue location

Brandy Melville opened its doors at 2305 Telegraph Ave. and replaced American Apparel, across the street from Sproul Plaza.

womensmarch_zahira-chaudhry_file

One year after Trump’s inauguration, thousands gather in Oakland, San Francisco for Women’s March 2018

On Jan. 20, thousands gathered at the Civic Center Plaza in San Francisco and the Lake Merritt Amphitheater in Oakland for the Women’s March. Participants gathered in solidarity to protest Donald Trump’s inauguration and to march in support of women’s rights.

tuitionprotest_debbieyuen_file

UC Berkeley students rally against university tuition hikes

On Jan. 24, nearly a dozen graduate students and community members gathered on Sproul Plaza to rally against the UC Board of Regents’ proposed tuition increase; later that day, the regents voted to postpone the highly anticipated vote on tuition hikes amid disagreement and pushback.

busd_yiranchen_staff

Teachers of Color Network protests lack of diversity in Berkeley schools

About 50 members of the Teachers of Color Network gathered Jan. 24 at the Berkeley Unified School District board meeting to protest the lack of diversity in the school system.

ice_sydneyfix_file

Border Patrol vehicle spotted near UC Berkeley causes alarm among community members

A U.S. Customs and Border Protection, or CBP, vehicle was spotted near the UC Berkeley campus Jan. 26, causing alarm among community members until it was confirmed that immigration agents had been invited to speak at a campus event.

halalguys_nikahrarora_file

Long-awaited Halal Guys brings renowned white sauce to Berkeley

Halal Guys officially opened its doors to the public Jan. 26, bringing more Middle Eastern cuisine to Downtown Berkeley.

wswim_mayavalluru_staff

Be humble; Cal women’s swim extends record to 9-0, sits down USC, UCLA

Cal is a perfect 9-0 on the season and is undefeated in conference after taking down No. 9 USC on Jan. 26 and UCLA on Jan. 27.

housefire_zahirachaudhry_file

West Berkeley house fire displaces resident, results in $250K structural damage

A Berkeley house fire that occurred in the early morning of Jan. 27 on the 1700 block of Eighth Street resulted in approximately $250,000 worth of structural damage and the displacement of 71-year-old homeowner Dennis Eimoto.

dora_antal3_aditiraghunath_file

Dóra Antal stars in No. 2 Cal women’s water polo’s perfect Cal Cup

Senior Dóra Antal, a three-time All-American and two-time Olympian, scored a remarkable 15 goals in a dominant offensive showing to lead the No. 2 Cal women’s water polo team to three victories against in-state rivals at the Cal Cup in Berkeley on Jan. 27 and 28.

Tyler, the Creator goes back to his roots in ‘Flower Boy’ tour

On the night of Jan. 29, the esteemed rapper Tyler, the Creator captivated the audience gathered at the San Francisco Armory — the latest stop in his “Flower Boy” tour — by offering showmanship that displayed his playful side, in addition to the mellow musicality exemplified by songs such as “Mr. Lonely.”