Man charged with arson after admitting to setting 2 fires in Berkeley

courthouse_audreymcnamara_file
Audrey McNamara/File

A 39-year-old man was charged with arson Thursday after he admitted to setting two fires in Berkeley, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

Julian Robinson was arrested Jan. 23 in connection with a fire in the lobby of the Ronald V. Dellums Federal Building at 1301 Clay St. in Oakland.

Robinson admitted to setting two other fires in Berkeley during an interview with Berkeley police detectives at Santa Rita Jail, according to Berkeleyside.

The initial arson occurred Dec. 18 at 11:42 p.m. at a memorial statue of a Berkeley police officer who was killed in the line of duty, according to the Berkeley Police Department. The statue is located at the BPD Public Safety Building.

The second fire in Berkeley involved a structure attached to a church on the 1700 block of Alcatraz Avenue on Jan. 11.

Robinson was charged with one count of arson in connection with the Oakland fire. He has numerous prior felony convictions for burglary, possession of a firearm by a felon and possession of cocaine, according to court papers.

Robinson’s plea hearing is set for Feb. 8 at the René C. Davidson Courthouse in Oakland. His bail is currently set a $95,000.

Check back for updates.

Amber Tang is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ambertang_dc.

• Left Unsaid

Mugshot not available.