Editors’ Note: Feb. 4

Tangible objects and intangible ideas (and a dash of sustainability)

Contribute to the Weekender
Lauren Glasby/File

This week, the Weekender brings a series of articles threaded together by the materiality (or not) of their subject matters and how they interact with us in our lives.

From the forefront of sustainable architecture, Nelly Lin brings a feature interview with Karl Wanaselja, a UC Berkeley alumnus and architect who has designed and constructed a net-zero-energy home, primarily out of recycled car parts.

Meanwhile, in the first of our continuing series on undergraduate student research on campus, Anna Ho spoke with Elias Sebti, a third-year student studying material science, about his work helping to develop more efficient and sustainable batteries for a new generation of electric vehicles and homes. Read that story here.

Continuing with the thread of architecture, Weekender editor Imad Pasha shares a short story titled “Architect” about a city that forms and disintegrates in the mind of its creator. Check that out here.

Sean Tseng rounds out this week’s portfolio section with her poem “Verisimilitude” about the blurred lines between reality and dreams.

Speaking of physical and nonphysical objects, Bailey Dunn explores the differences between e-books and old-fashioned paper books, as well as between handwriting notes and taking them via laptop — and the studies that have shown the varying efficacy of both.

Contact the Weekender at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter at @dcweekender.