Cal men’s swim’s Douglas Woodring wins Prince’s Prize

princealbert-mwp_aditiraghunath_file-copy
Aditi Raghunath/File

Douglas Woodring, a former member of Cal men’s swimming, was awarded the 2018 Prince’s Prize for Innovative Philanthropy by Prince Albert II of Monaco last week for his work in ocean protection and global plastic pollution issues.

According to the Tocqueville Foundation’s website, the goal of the Prince’s Prize is “to highlight projects and initiatives that have triggered innovative activity in the field of philanthropy, seeking out individuals that inspire others and demonstrate strong impact or potential impact.”

Woodring is the founder and managing director of Ocean Recovery Alliance, a 501(c)(3)-registered nonprofit organization founded in 2010 and based in Hong Kong and California.

The goal of the organization is “to bring together new ways of thinking, technologies, creativity and collaborations in order to introduce innovative projects and initiatives that will help improve our ocean environment,” according to its website.

Ocean Recovery Alliance is one of the few nongovernmental organizations that has worked with both UN Environment and the World Bank.

A shining achievement of Ocean Recovery Alliance is the Plastic Disclosure Project, which works to help organizations efficiently use plastic. According to Woodring, UC Berkeley was the first university to undertake this project.

Junior Johnny Hooper, a star on Cal men’s water polo, is an ocean ambassador for Ocean Recovery Alliance, according to Woodring.

Justice delos Santos is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @jdelossantos510