Which Winter Olympic sport are you based on your major?

coloredited_oliviastaser_olympics
Olivia Staser/Staff

For those of you who didn’t know (which is probably a lot of you), the 2018 Winter Olympics will kick off this Friday in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The Winter Olympics definitely don’t get as much hype as the Summer Olympics, so we here at the Clog want to get all of our readers pumped for the occasion! Now, you probably didn’t realize that winter sports had anything to do with the majors here at UC Berkeley, but after some deep contemplation, we figured out what connects some of the best winter sports with some of the majors here. So for anyone who wishes that they could be in South Korea right now, we’re bringing the snow to Berkeley with this list of winter sports and what major fits them best!  

Figure skating — Business

On the outside, figure skating is extremely popular and nice to look at, but behind the scenes, there are cutthroat rivalries and drama involved. (Anyone remember Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan?) Being a business major or intended business major is a lot like this. Many people who start school here say they’re “pre-Haas.” It’s a prestigious program to get into, and it seems like you’re guaranteed success if you can get in. But many soon realize that the nature of being a business major requires you to deal with business fraternities, consulting groups and a lot of people who think they’re better than you. Don’t get us wrong, Haas School of Business is a beautiful part of campus, and one of the top 10 business programs in the country, but there’s a lot more deep down.

Cross-country skiing — Engineering

Cross-country skiing seems like one of the most grueling and difficult sports there is. They have to ski for miles, and not just downhill and on flat surfaces, but they have to go uphill too! We couldn’t even imagine what kind of mental and physical toughness that requires. Like this difficult sport, we believe that our friends in the College of Engineering have it pretty hard as well. It takes a lot of motivation and focus to be any kind of engineering major, so we’d say that they’re the cross-country skiers of UC Berkeley.

Curling — Classics and history

OK, no offense to anyone who actually likes curling, but what even is curling? All we know is that people will push some stones across the ice and rapidly sweep the ice to make them go faster? Actually, we don’t even know if that’s right. People who curl also seem to be on the older spectrum, as athletes go. Most athletes don’t make it past 30, but some curlers are older! So, in light of the fact that we don’t know much about this sport and the fact the athletes are older than normal, we decided that history and classics majors work the best. Let’s face it: A lot of people don’t know much about history, especially ancient history. Not to mention, while we at the Clog believe every major matters, some people would argue that classics and history are relatively useless in comparison to other majors, which is also how we feel about curling as a sport. 

Ice hockey — Political science

Ice hockey is a pretty rough sport to play and so is being a political science major. In ice hockey, arguments and brawls are common, just like in a political science class discussion. If we want to analyze it with some theories, Machiavelli and Thomas Hobbes would probably say something about the roughness of the sport being just a means to the end of winning, and that it’s human nature to act that way. Ice hockey is also a team sport, which is another part of political science. In a democracy like America’s, big political decisions are never made by just one person. They’re made by groups, and no matter how dysfunctional a study group or committee may seem, it requires teamwork.

Ski jumping — Physics

We don’t know for sure, but ski jumping definitely requires some knowledge of motion, energy and how to get the most air from certain angles. We’ll be the first to admit that we might not know much about physics, but we know for a fact that there’s a science and math that goes into ski jump slopes and positioning your body so you can catch the most air.

Biathlon — Interdisciplinary studies

Biathlon is a sport that combines cross-country skiing and rifle shooting, two seemingly unrelated activities, and turns them into a pretty intense and interesting sport. Not unlike biathlon, anyone in interdisciplinary studies gets to put together seemingly unrelated classes and focuses and turn them into something meaningful. Both the sport and the major aren’t too popular, but nonetheless, they’re unique!

Wow, who knew that winter sports and the majors here at UC Berkeley had so much in common? We hope that you all have a great two weeks of watching Team USA or whatever country you cheer for. No matter what, go for the gold!

Contact Sunny Sichi at [email protected].