Small ‘debris’ fire breaks out at Old City Hall in Berkeley

fire_amandaramirez_staff
Amanda Ramirez/Staff

Berkeley Fire Department extinguished a small “debris” fire outside Old City Hall on Tuesday afternoon.

BFD responded to a report Tuesday afternoon at 3:16 p.m. that a fire had broken out at Old City Hall at 2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way.

The fire was extinguished by 3:25 p.m., according to BFD spokesperson Keith May, who described the fire as a “trash fire.”

May said the cause of the fire has not been determined but that it is possible the fire originated at a nearby homeless encampment. The encampment, organized by First They Came for the Homeless, relocated from the Here There sculpture to Old City Hall in November 2017.

“It’s not a structure fire. It was just a bunch of articles that were on fire,” May said. 

There were no reported injuries, according to May. He added that the fire charred the paint of the exterior of Old City Hall, but no fire entered the building.

Check back for updates. 

Jessíca Jiménez is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and and follow her on Twitter at @jesscajimenez_dc.

• hremdldw

I really don’t know what the city can do ? The homeless encampment doesn’t make for sanitary conditions , or a safe environment . I don’t live in Berkeley any longer my Parent’s do , I see Provo Park is enclosed by a chain link fence , so the homeless moved across the street to old City Hall . What might end up happening the City may need to build structure for temporary housing .