UC to address climate change through new coalition

climate_uc_courtesy
University of California/Courtesy

UC President Janet Napolitano and the leaders of four other universities unveiled the University Climate Change Coalition, or UC3, a partnership of 13 North American research universities, during a panel Tuesday.

UC3 will collaborate to help local and regional communities better implement climate action policies. Each member of the coalition will host its own climate change forum in 2018, and the members will use the information they collect to create a coalitionwide report that will be released in late 2018.

“What we intend to do through this coalition is to help develop research-based tools … that (incorporate) the best of climate science and the best of adaptation techniques,” Napolitano said during the panel. “It’s really uniting the unique power of research universities … to propel a solutions-based action plan for local communities in the climate area.”

Napolitano announced the coalition during the 2018 Higher Education Climate Leadership Summit, a gathering of about 200 university leaders who are “invested” in climate action, according to UC Office of the President spokesperson Stephanie Beechem. The summit built on the efforts of the We Are Still In coalition, a network of 2,500 local and state leaders and administrative professionals committed to addressing climate change and translating the swell of climate action support into policies and solutions, according to the coalition’s website.

“As the federal government has stepped back from leadership in this area, people are looking for other institutions to step up and really carry the water for this,” said Samuel Stanley, president of Stony Brook University, during the panel. “We are regional leaders for our areas … (and) we have to step up and take a leadership role.”

Napolitano said she hopes that a year from now, the coalition will have an established organizational infrastructure and a collection of projects “that have already shown they are moving the needle.”

Contact Katherine Yen at [email protected].