UC to address climate change through new coalition

climate_uc_courtesy
University of California/Courtesy

UC President Janet Napolitano and the leaders of four other universities unveiled the University Climate Change Coalition, or UC3, a partnership of 13 North American research universities, during a panel Tuesday.

UC3 will collaborate to help local and regional communities better implement climate action policies. Each member of the coalition will host its own climate change forum in 2018, and the members will use the information they collect to create a coalitionwide report that will be released in late 2018.

“What we intend to do through this coalition is to help develop research-based tools … that (incorporate) the best of climate science and the best of adaptation techniques,” Napolitano said during the panel. “It’s really uniting the unique power of research universities … to propel a solutions-based action plan for local communities in the climate area.”

Napolitano announced the coalition during the 2018 Higher Education Climate Leadership Summit, a gathering of about 200 university leaders who are “invested” in climate action, according to UC Office of the President spokesperson Stephanie Beechem. The summit built on the efforts of the We Are Still In coalition, a network of 2,500 local and state leaders and administrative professionals committed to addressing climate change and translating the swell of climate action support into policies and solutions, according to the coalition’s website.

“As the federal government has stepped back from leadership in this area, people are looking for other institutions to step up and really carry the water for this,” said Samuel Stanley, president of Stony Brook University, during the panel. “We are regional leaders for our areas … (and) we have to step up and take a leadership role.”

Napolitano said she hopes that a year from now, the coalition will have an established organizational infrastructure and a collection of projects “that have already shown they are moving the needle.”

Contact Katherine Yen at [email protected].

• Enginerd

You all remember learning about the greenhouse effect in grade school right? Without it, life on earth wouldn’t exist. Climate change is just enhanced greenhouse effect. We are interrupting natural cycles of sequestration and emitting. Fires are natural, volcanoes are natural. Billions of people burning trillions of tons of fossil fuels are not natural. You think we can’t impact the planet’s atmosphere????! Remember the darn hole in the ozone? Geez, the fossil fuel industry and conservative media have done an amazing job at fooling the steeple. Too bad the costs of dealing with this massive problem will be on the lowly taxpayer. Rich gettin richer. Middle class paying more.

• hoapres

Thanks to Donald Trump, the global warming industrial complex is being dismantled.

• 9.8m/ss

Let’s follow the money. The typical climate researcher makes about $60/year. The fossil fuel investors have tens of $trillions at stake. Their market caps depend on the expectation they’ll be able to keep selling fossil fuels through the 21st Century.
      Now let’s look at motivations. Climate researchers wash out of their chosen field when their competitors find significant distortions or mistakes in their work. They have to stay honest to stay employed. Fossil fuel investors hire public relations men, who get ahead by convincing the public of falsehoods in favor of their clients. There’s no pressure to be honest in that business.

The “global warming industrial complex” is fake news.

• taxpayer22

Humans do not control the weather nor the climate. They both changed before humans and will continue to change after we are all gone.

• 9.8m/ss

That’s right! There were forest fires before humans. Therefore humans can not cause forest fires.

• taxpayer22

Man made Global warming is the 2nd biggest scam in history. The biggest scam in history is that democrats are for the working people.

• Enginerd

You all remember learning about the greenhouse effect in grade school right? Without it, life on earth wouldn’t exist. Climate change is just enhanced greenhouse effect. We are interrupting natural cycles of sequestration and emitting. Fires are natural, volcanoes are natural. Billions of people burning trillions of tons of fossil fuels are not natural. You think we can’t impact the planet’s atmosphere????! Remember the darn hole in the ozone? Geez, the fossil fuel industry and conservative media have done an amazing job at fooling the sheeple.

• taxpayer22

Al Gore said , in 2008 , that the Arctic Ocean would be ice free by 2013 .

• Enginerd

That is your reason for not believing in climate change? Because a politician’s projections aren’t totally accurate? LOL

• taxpayer22

Global Warming is caused by government grants to academics.

• John

more PR intended to boost Janet’s image.