UC Berkeley literally spent $4M on ‘free speech.’ Wow.

CAMPUS ISSUES: In the span of just one month, the campus spent millions of dollars on security for three free speech events.

coloredited_kellybaird_costs
Kelly Baird/Staff

In the midst of a financial crisis, UC Berkeley spent nearly $4 million on free speech events in just one month last semester.

That’s about the same as 280 in-state students’ tuition dollars for one year. The multimillion dollar price tag drastically exceeds both initial estimates and this year’s campus budget allocation of less than $500,000 toward handling protests and demonstrations, according to campus spokesperson Dan Mogulof.

Recently, the UC Board of Regents expressed frustration with Gov. Jerry Brown’s budget because the state didn’t allocate enough to help the UC accommodate increased student enrollment. For the last couple of years, UC Berkeley has been making a concerted effort to reduce its budget deficit. Both the UC system and the campus are in a dire financial state — and yet, the campus is obligated to cast millions of precious dollars into the flames of Milo Yiannopoulos’s “free speech” publicity mission.

Mogulof said the campus has contingency plans to account for unplanned expenses to the campus. Additionally, in this case, the UC Office of the President has offered to pay half the costs, leaving UC Berkeley to pay the remaining $2 million out of funding sources that are not reserved for other purposes.

But the fact remains: UC Berkeley will be spending millions that could be put to much better use. Undocumented Student Program lawyer Prerna Lal said the campus’s financial support for the program is “nonexistent,” and the Title IX office also needs more money to help combat the campus’s pervasive sexual misconduct problem.

“There are lots of ways in which I would have preferred to use that $2 million,” said Chancellor Carol Christ during a Graduate Assembly meeting Thursday.

It’s outrageous that the campus and the UC have to dish out an exorbitant amount of money for events that prompted professors to cancel classes out of safety concerns for their students.

It’s ridiculous that “Free Speech Week” alone cost the campus nearly $3 million despite barely lasting 20 minutes.

It’s frustrating that the campus has to spend millions on an event that was clearly a last-ditch attempt for a fallen public figure to regain the media’s attention after he made comments that appeared to condone pedophilia.

When UC Berkeley is forced to pay millions of dollars to allow campus groups to host bigoted speakers, it puts its students in danger and starves them of much-needed funds.

But on the bright side, the campus saved face to a group of donors, alumni and legislators who wanted UC Berkeley to uphold its reputation as the bastion of free speech. Was it worth it?

Editorials represent the majority opinion of the Editorial Board as written by the opinion editor.

• elrod

Let’s start thinking about where the violence is coming from first and then we can move on to thinking about security costs.

• Man with Axe

It would not cost that much to maintain order during these speech events if the rioters were treated as rioters should be treated. Or better yet, as they would be treated in a communist utopia like the ones the rioters want, such as North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, or China.

• White speakers responding to the epidemic of anti-white hate infecting Cal and other campuses isn’t hate speech or advocating white supremacy, it’s just self-defense speech.

The inflation-adjusted riot control costs do seem higher than when I was a NROTC student back in 1972, when I helped sponsor a recruiting table for off-campus USMC recruiters in front of ASUC. No rioting on that date (but on others).

The difference is that the current UC admin, UC cops, and the city government and Berkeley PD are now sympathizers of the anti-white, anti-American rioters and want to see them partially succeed but contain them before it goes too far, which seldom works..

• mogden

What is outrageous, ridiculous, and frustrating is the waste of taxpayer dollars on students who are so manifestly unfit for university as the writers of this editorial.

• SMH

.

So, the university spent **$4 MILLION** to protect the _PUBLICITY STUNTS_ of some of the nation’s MOST NOTORIOUS WHITE RIGHT-WING *RACISTS* or *BIGOTS*, *ANTI-FEMINISTS*, and WANTON VERBAL BOMB-THROWERS, and put central campus under LOCKDOWN for them.

.

• lspanker

So, the university spent **$4 MILLION** to protect the _PUBLICITY STUNTS_ of some of the nation’s MOST NOTORIOUS WHITE RIGHT-WING *RACISTS* or *BIGOTS*

Thanks for reminding us why you have no credibility around here, fruitcake.

• SMH

Hey lspanker, I guess that’s why the San Francisco Chronicle, other newspapers, as well as university newspapers as far away as Brown University and as far south as UCLA, and various progressive political journals and authors, have respectively published my various formal commentaries — and not any of yours, that you’ve never had anyway, and don’t know how to formally write anyway, let alone without your sounding like an even bigger white doofus idiot.

As well my having been interviewed on the PBS Newshour and local TV — and not you, ever!
        .

• zzz

Comments sections isn’t being published.

• SMH

And neither are you — ever.

Got to you, huh?

Ha-ha-ha….
            .

• zzz

chuckle, no.

Your life is of no concern to me.

• SMH

zzz: “Your life is of no concern to me.”

Oh, now I can’t go on living!!…

Ha-ha-ha…
            .

• zzz

incoherent ravings.

• SMH

Ha-ha-ha…

• lspanker

And of course threatening people who know your real name, when you don’t know who they are, is a brilliant strategy, isn’t it?

• SMH

Quiet Ispanker…: I’m still shaking!…

Ha-ha-ha…

• D.Plorable

A thug, a pothead, and a couple mashed-potato-mouth 2nd rate intellects who got everything handed to them on a platter due to their race. Impressive. You guys are why Apple, Google, and Facebook can’t find any black programmers to hire.

• lspanker

Note how SMH doesn’t even deal with the topic of discussion when he joins a conversation. He just runs around like a rabid poodle and starts biting people’s ankles…

• SMH

lspanker: “Note how SMH doesn’t even deal with the topic of discussion when he joins a conversation.”

Funny Ispanker, how you still think I care

Ha-ha-ha…

• Killer Marmot

Please quit shouting.

• lspanker

SMH is the Internet equivalent of the guy pushing a shopping cart down the middle of the street at night, taking to himself and his imaginary companions.

• California Defender

Even his imaginary companions say:

“Would you shut up?! I can’t hear myself imaginary think!”

• SMH

Don’t like it, don’t read it.

• Killer Marmot

I didn’t read it. Too much capitalization. It looks like an old piece of Marxist boilerplate pamphleteers used to hand out, where every fifth word was in upper case.

• lspanker

Maybe the CAPS key on his laptop got stuck when he liberated it from its previous owner down at Cafe Strada…

• SMH

I TYPED it that way just so you WOULDN’T read it…: it WASN’T meant for you anyway.

(I know that “Ispanker” read it…: he’s got a real lllovvve jones for me and reads anything I type — even though I constantly just make a joke out of, and reject, him.)
            .

• Jorge Carolinos

Editorial board proclaims the rioters of antifa

http://www.dailycal.org/2017/04/18/antifa-presence-helped-defend-communities/

“Antifa was the most visible opponent at
    the rally to defend communities under attack. The type of violence that
    hate groups represent is a constant presence in the lives of people of
    color, transgender people and so many other marginalized communities.
    Allowing them to come to our city only propagates that brand of violence
    further and puts already marginalized communities in further danger.
    But by challenging their ability to deliberately spread hate, Antifa was
    able to protect people, albeit by using violence itself.”

Now the editorial board is saying antifa violence is too expensive? Obviously this paragraph is unhinged non sense…

Make up you minds, people with no personal agency that rely on you are I’m sure confused.

• Jack Spencer

Not one word of condemnation of criminal thugs who destroyed university property, and violently assaulted students. What kind of people are running this newspaper?

• jeyhovah

Why don’t we not allow the admission of 280 illegals getting in-state students’ tuition and that would free up the $4 million dollars needed to protect free speech for those on the right attacked by those on the left. I don’t understand as to how the students of Berkeley believe that it’s the right’s fault for this happening. I’m no longer donating to my alma mater because they’ve gone crazy.

• Killer Marmot

Last year after the Yiannopoulos riot, the Daily Californian ran numerous opinion pieces justifying the use of violence to prevent certain opinions being heard.

This is the predictable outcome of such violence.

Did you think violence comes without cost? It’s expensive, both in dollar terms and in what it does to society.

• lspanker

When UC Berkeley is forced to pay millions of dollars to allow campus groups to host bigoted speakers

No, Cal Berkeley spend millions because certain people on the hard left have never learned how to deal with opposing points of view. Keep spouting this drivel, you’re only convincing the rest of the country that you’re a bunch of spoiled, intolerant, narcissistic children who should never be trusted in any positions of power or authority.

• BerCaley

Berkeley is a right wing target. This is for the benefit of the Hannity and Breitbart crowd in the flyover states.

• zzz

If your rioters learned to behave like adults not an issue. Your rioters and their enabelers are brietbart level idiots, coastal self appointed elites enabling and taking part in stunted street ratism.

• BerCaley

Yawn.

• lspanker

Hmm, seems you can’t deal with the truth, can you? There would not have been any need to spend anywhere close to that type of money if immature, intolerant, hypersensitive children like you didn’t get butt-hurt and have violent tantrums every time they were forced to deal with ideas they disagree with.

• Jack Spencer

Keep it up. Lets see you yawn when one of Trumps Judges sentences you to 10 years in a sub basement isolation cell at the Federal Supermax Prison. Thats their plan for Antifa.

• BerCaley

I have difficulty thinking of y’all as having had any sort of education or working in any sort of professional capacity. Well, maybe unless internet trolling is your professional capacity and you get paid in vodka.

• zzz

“I have difficulty thinking of y’all as having had any sort of education
            or working in any sort of professional capacity. Well, maybe unless
            internet trolling is your professional capacity and you get paid in
            vodka.”

Thanks for the laugh.

• lspanker

I have difficulty thinking of y’all as having had any sort of education or working in any sort of professional capacity.

BSChE Cal Berkeley 1995, gainfully employed as a senior engineer in an energy-related industry. Care to tell us about your qualifications and what you do for a living?

• BerCaley

Gainfully employed. How admirable. Are my private sector tax dollars paying for your employment? Govmint contractor? Welfare comes in many forms.

BS EECS. The only govmint job I ever had was grading papers at this school.

• lspanker

Gainfully employed. How admirable. Are my private sector tax dollars paying for your employment?

Not one bit. Shall I assume that your need to be an obnoxious a-hole towards others is your own personal compensation for your inability to actually deal with facts or logic in a reasoned discussion? Sure appears that way, since you seem more interested in attacking and trolling people who dare to disagree with you than making any type of argument that supports the legitimacy of your particular position, whatever that may be…

• Jorge Carolinos

You are attempting to have things every which way, you blubber about others being uneducated, then when pointed out ridiculous you just come up with something else idiotic.

• BerCaley

‘Jack Spencer’ said “Keep it up. Lets see you yawn when one of Trumps Judges sentences you to 10 years in a sub basement isolation cell at the Federal Supermax Prison. Thats their plan for Antifa.”

I thought the writer of that was uneducated. Does he (?) strike you as someone who went to my alma mater? Or is he a typical conservative troll finding some corner of the internet to vent his anger?

Or is there some other which way that you would like to have?

Yawn.

• lspanker

If your rioters learned to behave like adults not an issue.

A concept that clearly goes over the head of these “progressive” eejits.

• lspanker

Next time, don’t beat up people who go to see a conservative speaker, start fires, break stuff, or march around with a big sign declaring THIS IS WAR. You idiotic attention-starved lefty losers in Berkeley literally extended an engraved invitation to fight it out in the streets with others, yet you act so shocked when others show up to take you up on the offer.

• BerCaley

More yawn.

• lspanker

In other words, you couldn’t refute a word I said. Consider yourself spanked.

• SMH

lspanker => BerCaley •
            “Consider yourself spanked.”

Is that the kink you’re into?…: wanting to spank other guys over your bare legs?

Usually you’re, “Ispanker”, into naked spanking yourself with your obvious, deviant, self-masochistic verbal idiocies! Do all the other male alt-white doofs know that? Or, do you just dress in schoolboy shorts & suspenders and trade spankies with the pedophile Milo?

Ha-ha-ha…!
            .

• lspanker

Hmm, 9:30 PM, time for all crackheads to wake up…

• SMH

Hey, Ispanker, time for you to get into your little schoolboy outfit and bend over for Milo!…

After he gets done spanking your fat crusty buns over his bare legs, and you spanking his naked buns over your bare legs, he might give you an extra-special treat…

Ha-ha-ha!!
            .

• Nunya Beeswax

You’re turning yourself on, aren’t you.

• SMH

… Nunya Beeswax — you’re engaged in projection… Now go take care of that thing… Or just call Ispanker and Milo up!

• SMH

lspanker, openly let us know when you come to campus. We’ve got a special welcome for you — and then we’ll see who’s the loser.
        .

• lspanker

So you’re physically threatening me? You seem to forget that your identity is known by several people here.

• SMH

Ooooo!!… I’m shaking in my boots!!

Ha-ha-ha…
            .

• lspanker

I’m not really that afraid of a one-on-one encounter with just you, as most people of your type become backtracking cowards when they have to back up their own words. I would advise you however to consider that your real name is known by several individuals who comment regularly here due to the hysterical diatribes you have made under that name over the span of a few years on another local site.

I might suggest you research the fate on another SF Bay Area online personality of similar mental condition and temperament, a certain Michael “Ras Enoch” McCarty who started his career as an online @sshole as merely another garden-variety nut-cake like you, but unwisely escalated his tactics to slander, defamation of character, stalking, disseminating personal info, and ultimately death threats directed towards several individuals whom he singled out for abuse because (just like you) he lacked the intellectual capacity and mental stability to engage in reasoned, coherent discussion as a grown adult. Messr. McCarthy’s behavior led to the point where the County of San Mateo hosted him on more than one occasion as a house guest at their Maguire Correctional Facility in RWC. You may wish to chill out a bit before making threats of physical violence against others, as nothing really goes away on the Internet, and as the man on TV used to say: “You have the right to remain silent. If you choose to waive that right, anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law.”

http://bnbranding.com/wp-content/uploads/dragnet-gutter-mouth-punk.jpg

• SMH

Wow lspanker, you’ve really seriously typed a llllot, huh?…:

I didn’t realize I was so very important to you.

And look at how dense it is — complete with a link that you actually thought I was going to look at!

(Well, actually, I did come realize that I was so extremely important to you, because you constantly follow/stalk me around all over the place in your comment posts, and you still think I care what you think and try to engage me in conversations, and obviously can’t live without me.

You’re like a clumsy, dorky, little boy who can only express his crush on a girl by constantly trying to insult her, and even when the girl keeps rejecting and soundly embarrasses and always gets the better of you, and always makes a joke out of you and always laughs, at you, you lllove it (you love any kind of attention however negative) and, even as other people are laughing at you being so soundly shown up by my responses, you just keep coming back for more (!!) — except that you’re obviously not straight.

But, sorry lspanker, I am straight and I can’t be a party to your perverse, self-masochistic, kinky Mandingo fantasy. But, hey, you can go after Milo — even though he’s not Mandingo. But, the pro-pedophile Milo will even play your spankie games, back & forth with him, if you dress up as a little uniformed Catholic school boy, with a little schoolboy cap & neck scarf on.)

I know I’m your Mandingo fantasy, but try to live without me… Go find Milo.

Ha-ha-ha…!!
            .

• akojudnibah da

Product of too much freedom of speech. .

• That Guy

so the editorial board endorsed the violent rioters and is now concerned that the riots they endorsed were expensive?

• zzz

Dear editorial board, don’t submit this as an example of you college work when job hunting, unless you are looking for a job as a test subject in cognitive dissonance.

• D.Plorable

On the contrary, this would most likely get them cuts in line at the NY Times and the “news” networks. It will also be very effective when applying to grad schools in the social “science” fields but especially–and most ominously–to law school and the j-schools themselves.