41 passengers, 1 dog rescued from grounded boat near Berkeley Marina

berkeleymarina_zainabali-copy
Zainab Ali/Senior Staff

A bird-watching charter boat ran aground about a half-mile outside of the Berkeley Marina about noon Saturday, according to Berkeley Fire Department Battalion Chief Bill Kehoe.

BFD received a call about 1:30 p.m. from the U.S. Coast Guard requesting that the department assist in ferrying passengers off the boat and provide back up, Kehoe said. The Coast Guard, BFD, the Berkeley Police Department and the Berkeley Marina Harbormaster’s Office sent assistance to help bring the passengers of the boat to shore.

Forty-one passengers and one dog were brought to shore, according to Kehoe, and one person had a minor injury that was treated on-site. There were no other injuries.

Two of the boat’s crew members stayed on board and accompanied the ship as it was towed by a towing service to Richmond for repairs, Kehoe said. He added that there is currently no damage estimate and that the Coast Guard is handling the investigation.

As of now, Kehoe said there is no knowledge of what may have caused the boat to run aground, but he noted that the power was running on the boat at the time the crews arrived.

Sakura Cannestra is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SakuCannestra.