Editors’ note: Feb. 10, 2018

Music to our ears

Contribute to the Weekender
Lauren Glasby/File

This week, The Weekender delves into all things music, exploring the role it plays in our lives and the many ways it has evolved.  

Editor Imad Pasha brings a deep-dive on the state of affairs of vinyl records, looking at the upsurge in demand for this “old-school” music medium and what that means for the avid album collector. Check out his piece here.

We are also highlighting a unique music group on UC Berkeley’s campus: the cello ensemble [email protected] Staff writer Grace Vogel shares where the group got its start and the variance of musical styles — including contemporary pop — that the ensemble performs in public spaces. You can find this piece here.

Continuing with our student research series, staff writer Paul Martin introduces campus junior, Olivia Wakamoto, who explores the analysis of popular music — everything from Beyoncé to Kendrick Lamar — as poetry. You can read his piece here.

Staff writer Olivia Staser also contributed a commentary piece about her personal experience with music as an artform and the ways it has allowed her to manage anxiety. Read this piece here.

Our second commentary piece, written by staff writer Frida Schaefer-Bastian, explores the difficulties of fostering musical talents in college and the importance of providing opportunities for students to practice and perform.    

Contact the Weekender at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter at @dcweekender.