Goodbye relationships, hello friendships — a Galentine’s Day playlist

coloredited_isabelledoerschlag_vdayplaylist
Isabelle Doerschlag/File

Ah, Valentine’s Day. A day that’s meant nothing to many of us since the days of passing out candy to everyone in the class ended. But no matter how irrelevant it may be, or how much we’re over the fact that we’re single, it’s a day that somehow always takes our self-esteem down a few notches.

It’s honestly a little annoying to see happy couples holding hands or people giving each other cheesy gifts. Romantic love is getting a little old, so we at the Clog believe that sisterly love is what’s in vogue this February. Rather than feeling bad about yourself and wondering why someone hasn’t snatched you up yet, listen to this playlist that’s all about confidence and how amazing you and your pals are! So stop dragging your feet and strut down Sproul Plaza to the beat with your best pals on your way to a Galentine’s Day brunch. No matter when you play this playlist, we hope that it reminds you to show a little love to your friends this Valentine’s Day! 

“Independent Women, Pt. 1” — Destiny’s Child

Is there a better way to start a playlist like this? You’re strong and independent, and you certainly don’t need a holiday making you feel second-rate.

“We Are Family” — Sister Sledge

Whoever said disco was dead clearly forgot about this song (as if that’s even possible!). This is literally the OG Galentine’s Day anthem, so gather all your “sisters” and celebrate each other and the family they’ve made for you here at UC Berkeley.

“Wannabe” — Spice Girls

You know what we want? We want to understand what Scary Spice is saying in this song. Kidding. But Galentine’s Day IS all about demanding some respect for you and your friends. So, next Valentine’s Day, if there happens to be that special someone, you’ve got to make sure they get along with your friends.

“No Scrubs” — TLC

Staying on our theme of demanding respect, this iconic song is all about knowing your self-worth and realizing that you don’t owe anyone your love if you don’t want to give it. You deserve the best, so maybe the best for you hasn’t shown up yet this Valentine’s Day.

“G.N.O. Girls Night Out” — Miley Cyrus

From the Queen of Disney Pop herself, this is an amazing song about getting over people you don’t need in your life, going out with your best friends and just having fun instead of moping! So transport yourself back to your bedroom circa 2007 and jam out to this classic.

“Hair” — Little Mix

This one’s for all you folks out there trying to get over someone. Valentine’s Day often brings back painful memories of a breakup or something not working out when you really wanted it to, but all you can do is get them out of your hair and move on. The best way to do that is with the support of your friends, because with them, you can forget whoever broke your heart.

“Feeling Myself” — Nicki Minaj, Beyoncé

Queen Bey again? You know it. We love nothing more than two strong women getting together and making a song about loving yourself and feeling good. Galentine’s Day is about being confident and loving the skin you’re in. And if you don’t believe us, you’ll definitely believe the queens of music  themselves.

“Bad Girls” — M.I.A

Get down to this absolute banger with all your friends. Honestly, if this song comes on, we guarantee that EVERY person will go wild. And while no one really lives by them, “Live fast, die young” are words that resonate with everyone’s inner badass.

“Express Yourself” — Madonna

Madonna has influenced countless people, clothing trends and music styles for years. So you know that you should definitely take her advice. Respect yourself! Don’t settle for second best! Demand more! And no matter what, be yourself!  

“I’m Coming Out” — Diana Ross

Don’t hide in your room from the love fest happening outside. Go outside and show the world how happy, single, independent and amazing you are!

“Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” — Beyoncé

We probably could have made this playlist out of Beyoncé’s entire discography, but to give the others a chance, we’re keeping the number of songs featuring her to three. So to all our single readers out there, we’re reclaiming Valentine’s Day as Galentine’s Day. It’s a day for singles to support each other and recognize that they don’t need to be dating someone to feel loved and amazing. So put your hands up and shake them like our mother Beyoncé taught us!

“Dancing Queen” — ABBA

We’re ending the playlist the only way we know how, which is with ABBA. End your Galentine’s Day dancing in your room, at a party or wherever else, but make sure it’s with all your friends!

Remember that you aren’t “forever alone,” because you’ve got some great friends who love you and appreciate how wonderful you are. Take a break and treat yourself and your friends to some heart-shaped waffles, because, as Leslie Knope would say, “We need to remember what’s important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn’t matter, but work is third.”

So Happy Galentine’s Day to all those singles out there!

Contact Sunny Sichi at [email protected].