The guide on how to ‘treat-yo-self’ this Valentine’s day

treat_kristinewong_file
Kristine Wong/File

Valentine’s Day has come back around again, and while we wish the best to the couples who get to celebrate it, there are plenty of us that won’t quite be feeling the holiday spirit. But rather than spend the day being down on ourselves, there’s plenty us single folk can do to make sure that we still have a splendid Valentine’s Day.

Make yourself (or go out for) your favorite meal

No matter your relationship status, everybody loves food. Break out the recipe for your favorite meal and have yourself a fine Valentine’s dinner. If you don’t have kitchen access or don’t have enough confidence in your cooking abilities, head down to your favorite local restaurant and order the best dish they have. Feel free to get dessert too — you won’t have to share with anyone.

Go for a workout

Any problem can temporarily be solved by working up a sweat and releasing endorphins at the gym. Not only will your mood improve, but you’ll feel better about yourself for burning some calories. Not to mention the typical RSFers who are in relationships probably won’t be there.

Have a shopping day

Been wanting to upgrade your wardrobe? Need to add some things to your book or vinyl collection? Head down to Telegraph Avenue or Downtown Berkeley and get exactly what you’ve had in mind. Pro tip: Anastasia’s has been having some sweet deals lately.

Take a nap

The one piece of advice that we can all agree on. Regardless of whatever else you have going on in your life, just forget about it for a couple of hours and take a nap. We guarantee that you’ll be glad you did.

Think on the qualities you have going for you

Maybe you’re single, but odds are you have a lot going for you nonetheless. You’re a student at UC Berkeley after all, so you’re doing something right — whatever it is. Rejoice in the things you have going for you; the list is probably longer than you realize.

Happy Valentine’s Day, Bears.

Contact Doug Smith at [email protected].