Around town with Allison: The best avocado toast in the East Bay

allisonfong_mugsketch

Back that Hass up because it’s avocado toast time! Science states that humans are made of 60 percent water, but it turns out that millennials are made of 60 percent avocado toast — the other 40 percent is an even mixture of craft beer, cold brew and kombucha. This trendy fruit spread (yes, avocados are indeed fruit) on toast has taken the world by storm. Avocado toast is a tasty combination of our two favorite things: carbs and healthy fats! With a little bit of lemon, salt and pepper, what’s not to love? Some of you might be thinking, “It’s just avocado toast.” But that’s where you’re wrong. Making avocado toast is an art form. This article is here to showcase the best of the best. Sure, you could totally make avocado toast at home, but we can probably all agree that it tastes way better when someone else makes it for you. Here are some of the best places to grab yourself a slice (or two) of the best avocado toast in the East Bay! And if anyone ever gives you crap about eating avocado toast, you can tell them to kiss your Hass.

Philz Coffee

6310 College Ave., Oakland, CA 94618

philz_rgarner

Many people know this place for its amazing coffee, but what most people don’t know is that it also serves a mean avocado toast. With toasted sourdough, smashed avocado and the perfect mixture of salt, pepper and spices, this one’s hard to beat. Looking for some extra protein? Opt for a hard-boiled egg on top. With or without the egg, you will surely be satisfied.

Coffee Shop

1321 Locust St., Walnut Creek, CA 94596

Just a quick BART ride away, this avocado toast is definitely worth the trip. Coffee Shop puts an elevated spin on your basic avocado toast by topping it with feta cheese and cilantro for the ultimate avocado toast experience. Maybe it’s the fresh herbs, maybe it’s the feta cheese, or maybe it’s even the combination of both, but this one is an instant favorite. It’s love at first bite! Pair this one with a creamy iced mint cold brew for a tasty and refreshing treat. Coffee Shop’s avocado toast is definitely a game changer!

Blue Bottle Coffee

2118 University Ave., Berkeley, CA 94704

bluebottle_jasmanyflores_file

As the Apple store of coffee shops, Blue Bottle Coffee serves amazing coffee as well as delicious avocado toast. Served on thick toast, the avocado is roughly chopped and seasoned to perfection. With its minimalist decor, Blue Bottle Coffee knows that simplicity is key — this simplicity definitely shows in its avocado toast. 

Cafe Umami

2224 MacArthur Blvd., Oakland, CA 94602

Three words: avocado toast galore! Cafe Umami serves up lots of new takes on your classic avocado toast. Open-faced sourdough bread with fresh avocado is the baseline, but you’ll also have lots of options for tasty toppings such as miso butter, garlic-infused olive oil, mushrooms and even kimchi! With so many options, you truly can’t go wrong with any of these tasty additions. Not feeling too adventurous? No biggie! The cafe’s classic avocado toast is equally as delicious.  

Bartavelle Coffee & Wine Bar

1603 San Pablo Ave., Berkeley, CA 94702

Located right next door to the Acme Bread Company, Bartavelle serves amazing avocado toast on delicious fresh bread. With creamy avocado and just the right amount of seasoning, it’s no wonder some people think that Bartavelle has one of the best avocado toasts in the Bay! If avocado toast isn’t your jam (it should be), this place also provides other really great toast options!

Honorable Mention: Romeo’s Coffee

2499 Telegraph Ave., Berkeley, CA 94704

romeos_kevin_reber_staff

Sliced avocado with just the right amount of salt and pepper — this is the perfect snack or breakfast option. The real star here is the bread. Remember, better bread than dead!

So what are you waiting for? Let’s get smashed (avocado)!

Allison Fong writes the weekly blog column on places and activities to try in and around Berkeley. Contact her at [email protected].