Bring a smile to someone’s face on Random Acts of Kindness Day

kindness_mayashen_file
Maya Shen/File

This Saturday is Random Acts of Kindness Day. Before you roll your eyes and scoff at the idea of yet another ludicrous holiday, let us remind you that there was a day dedicated entirely to groundhogs earlier this month. Random Acts of Kindness Day presents us with the perfect opportunity to spread the love as we embark on tiny missions of compassion. Luckily for us, there’s no limit to the random acts of kindness that we can carry out. We at the Clog have plenty of ideas on how you can make the most of this special day.

Feed your friends

Throw your roommate a bone, or in this case, a piece of toast. Think of your fellow habitant while you’re in the kitchen coming up with whatever slapdash breakfast you can scrounge together before your 9 a.m., and make some food for them too. We’re not saying you’ve got to whip up a full continental spread. A simple piece of toast and smear of peanut butter will do the trick. It’s the consideration that counts, not the calories.

Support a stranger

If you’re really balling out, we highly recommend you pay for the boba of the next person in line. We know that the funds for this one might be a challenge, but we can assure you that it’s worth every penny. Being responsible for a stranger’s sugar rush is a rush in and of itself. 

Thank the thankless

Send a thank-you card. There are a few things in the known universe that can unfailingly elicit good feelings in anyone. Funnel cake and getting paid both make the cut, but at the very top of that list is getting a card of gratitude in the mail. The hardest gangster in the whole world would be tickled pink by a heartfelt thank-you card.

Flattery for all

Greet everyone you talk to with a compliment. Let your co-worker know that their command of CalTime is truly what dreams are made of. Tell your classmate that you admire their ability to get to class exactly at 10 after the hour. Inform the cute person in your discussion that you really liked the way their aunt’s engagement photos turned out. The latter should be followed by the immediate deactivation of your Facebook.

Hi, mom

Call your mom back. Honestly, this shouldn’t even be considered a random act of kindness. Hell hath no fury quite like a neglected mom. Calling your mom is an act of self-preservation at this point. That woman brought you into this world, and she could just as easily take you out of it.

We at the Clog urge you to go the extra mile this Saturday and put out a little more good vibrations in the universe. Above all, we should make every day Random Acts of Kindness Day.

Contact Amanda Chung at [email protected].