Editors’ note: #MeToo issue

metoo_featured-01
Beverly Pan/Staff

While the end of 2017 marked the rise of the #MeToo movement, the year had already seen the UC system begin the reckoning of its sordid history of mishandling sexual misconduct cases among its highest-profile employees.  

In fact, that reckoning first started when female students publicized what had then only been an open secret: A UC Berkeley investigation had found that astronomy professor Geoffrey Marcy violated campus sexual misconduct policy. Just a year later, Sujit Choudhry, then-dean of UC Berkeley’s School of Law, resigned under similar circumstances in 2016. Hundreds protested. Administrators resigned. UC committees formed.

Misconduct, once often hidden behind closed doors and sealed lips, is now coming to public light like never before. But still, abuse and discrimination can infiltrate every level of the UC system. Today’s regular issue explores the #MeToo movement in all its facets and examines how sexual misconduct can touch every aspect of the Berkeley community.

Karim Doumar is the editor in chief and president, Alexandra Yoon-Hendricks is the managing editor and Dani Sundell is the creative director. Contact them at [email protected] and follow The Daily Californian on Twitter at @dailycal.