Cal softball extends win streak to 10 with perfect weekend

Lianne Frick/File

Cal softball celebrated President’s Day weekend in style, winning all five of its games in the first of two Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic tournaments. The team bested Fordham, Loyola Marymount, UC Santa Barbara, Cal Poly and UC Riverside while outscoring them by a margin of 51-6.

Fordham’s first win of the tournament came Saturday in a blowout 9-2 victory. The game against the Rams was a close one until the fifth inning, when Cal finally punished opposing pitcher sophomore Madie Aughinbaugh, saddling her with five runs in the frame.

In the circle for the Bears was the continually stellar junior Kamalani Dung, who pitched all seven innings, recording a career-high 15 and allowing only five hits and one earned run.

On the offensive side, Cal was equally formidable as nine Bears chipped in for 12 total hits without recording a single strikeout.

Loyola Marymount

In game two of the unofficial doubleheader, Cal shut out Loyola Marymount, 8-0, in a five-inning, mercy-rule win. Redshirt junior Zoe Conley threw five shutout innings for what would be her fourth win.

At the plate, it was an all too familiar story as Cal spread 11 hits over eight batters to overwhelm Loyola’s pitchers. Standing out was senior Kobie Pettis, freshman Karlee Sparacino and junior Krysten McCue, each contributing a pair of hits in the win.

After a hard-earned night’s rest, Cal trounced UCSB, 11-0. The two teams had met just nine days earlier with the same starting pitchers, but this was a much more lopsided victory for the Bears.

In this one, Dung pitched another complete game while only giving up four hits. On the opposing side, Gauchos pitcher sophomore Felisha Noriega pitched all seven, but allowed 13 hits and 11 runs, six of which were earned runs.

As usual, the Bears’ offense had a great team effort at the plate, with Pettis having a particularly fine game, recording three hits in five at-bats and driving in a run while junior Lindsay Rood went two for four with four RBIs.

Cal Poly

Following its win over UCSB, Cal mercy-ruled Cal Poly, 9-1, in five innings. Conley, once again, pitched all five innings, striking out eight while allowing only one earned run.

While every part of the Bears’ lineup contributed at the dish, sophomore Bradie Fillmore had a truly outstanding day, going a perfect 3 for 3 at the plate and racking up five RBIs.

UC Riverside

In the Bears’ fifth and final game of the tournament, they dispatched UC Riverside, 14-3, in yet another mercy-rule victory.

Cal’s two aces split the pitching in this blowout; Dung got the win for pitching the first three innings and Conley got the save for the final two frames.

Rood led the way at the plate for Cal, going four for four with a double and a stolen base. Freshman Mikayla Coelho and Pettis also carried their share of the load, combining for five hits and five RBIs in the game.

“It was an outstanding weekend with great pitching and phenomenal hitting throughout the entire lineup,” said head coach Diane Ninemire. “We need to use this momentum going forward and keep getting better as we get deeper in the schedule. We’re looking forward to the next one on Wednesday.”

Matthew Selman covers softball. Contact him at [email protected]