Best spots in Sacramento, from ‘Lady Bird’ to ice cream

sacramento_wikimedia_cc
Wikimedia/Creative Commons

Just an hour and a half away from Berkeley lies the funky city of Sacramento. As the setting of “Lady Bird,” our state capital and the City of Trees, Sactown has a lot to offer. Plus, it’s so close that it’s perfect for a weekend away from Berkeley.

If you’re feeling adventurous or just want to chill and see a new place, drive on over and check out some of the following spots.

Tupelo Coffeehouse

Tupelo is a cute little coffee shop in East Sacramento, right by the Sacramento State University campus. It has good coffee, an awesome playlist and friendly baristas. There are community tables and little study cubicles, making it the perfect place to write your next novel. Not to mention that dogs are allowed inside, so it’s basically heaven.

Flower Farm Cafe

Another pet-friendly spot, the Flower Farm Cafe is located next to the Flower Farm bed-and-breakfast and has healthy portions of yummy salads and sandwiches. But what people come for is the beautiful outdoor seating. It’s also a great place for events, as it doubles as a wedding venue.

Orphan Breakfast House

For the breakfast fiends among us, this is the place for you. Orphan lies in East Sacramento and provides great service combined with delicious food. Anything from the pancakes to the quesadillas are worth a taste.

Vic’s Ice Cream

Besides the fact that this place has the best mint chip ice cream on the planet, Vic’s also has good homemade sandwiches and really quick service. The most unusual and potentially best sandwich is their hot dog sandwich, which is just your regular sandwich with thinly sliced hot dog as the meat. You can also take a tub of ice cream to go so you don’t forget just how good it is.

Mulvaney’s B&L

If you’re feeling fancy, check out Mulvaney’s. You will drop a pretty dime, but the food and atmosphere are well worth it. Located in Midtown, the restaurant has a “Green Promise,” which guarantees that it does everything in its power to “tread lightly upon the earth” and use every part of the animals in its dishes.

St. Francis High School

If you’re a fan of “Lady Bird,” don’t leave Sac without at least a quick drive by St. Francis. The high school is the alma mater of the film’s writer and director, Greta Gerwig. It’s where all the magic happened. You may not be able to walk on campus if the gates are closed, but just seeing it will give you a little context for Lady Bird’s angst.

California State Capitol

Whether you’re a California native or not, it’s pretty cool to see where all the magic happens. Just seeing the outside may satisfy you, as the building is quite beautiful, but there are also tours and admission is free.

Sacramento is an easy drive away and can prove a great getaway this midterm season. Happy travels!

Contact Hailey Johnson at [email protected].