Oakland mayor warns undocumented residents of possible ICE raids

ice_wikimedia_cc-copy
Wikimedia/Creative Commons

Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf warned residents of possible Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, raids starting “as soon as within the next 24 hours” in a press release issued Saturday night.

In the press release, Schaaf said she learned of the potential operations from multiple credible sources and urged residents to avoid panic and to prepare instead. In a Sunday press conference, Schaaf said her understanding was that the ICE operations would be occurring across the Bay Area rather than just in Oakland.

“My priority is for the well-being and safety of all residents — particularly our most vulnerable — and I know that Oakland is safer when we share information, encourage community awareness, and care for our neighbors,” Schaaf said in the press release.

Schaaf said during the press conference that she believes the ICE activity that could start in the Bay Area will focus on civil deportations and are not criminal investigations.

Schaaf added during the conference that her information did not come through “official channels” but from multiple sources that cited “extremely credible sources for their information.”

Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguín said in a statement to KRON 4 that he was informed by Schaaf on Saturday night of the potential ICE operations in the Bay Area. He said, however, that he had not received word from ICE or any other agency.

“Obviously we are very concerned and we are alerting people in our community,” Arreguin said in the statement. “I commend Mayor Schaaf for proactively getting the word out so we can protect people in our communities.”

Further details of the potential operations, such as precise locations, are still unknown, according to the press release.

“It is not my wish to panic people but to ensure that they’re prepared with information, that they know their rights as well as their responsibilities and know about the resources that this community offers,” Schaaf said at the conference.

Contact Ani Vahradyan and Sydney Fix at [email protected].