Oakland mayor warns undocumented residents of possible ICE raids

Wikimedia/Creative Commons

Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf warned residents of possible Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, raids starting “as soon as within the next 24 hours” in a press release issued Saturday night.

In the press release, Schaaf said she learned of the potential operations from multiple credible sources and urged residents to avoid panic and to prepare instead. In a Sunday press conference, Schaaf said her understanding was that the ICE operations would be occurring across the Bay Area rather than just in Oakland.

“My priority is for the well-being and safety of all residents — particularly our most vulnerable — and I know that Oakland is safer when we share information, encourage community awareness, and care for our neighbors,” Schaaf said in the press release.

Schaaf said during the press conference that she believes the ICE activity that could start in the Bay Area will focus on civil deportations and are not criminal investigations.

Schaaf added during the conference that her information did not come through “official channels” but from multiple sources that cited “extremely credible sources for their information.”

Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguín said in a statement to KRON 4 that he was informed by Schaaf on Saturday night of the potential ICE operations in the Bay Area. He said, however, that he had not received word from ICE or any other agency.

“Obviously we are very concerned and we are alerting people in our community,” Arreguin said in the statement. “I commend Mayor Schaaf for proactively getting the word out so we can protect people in our communities.”

Further details of the potential operations, such as precise locations, are still unknown, according to the press release.

“It is not my wish to panic people but to ensure that they’re prepared with information, that they know their rights as well as their responsibilities and know about the resources that this community offers,” Schaaf said at the conference.

Contact Ani Vahradyan and Sydney Fix at [email protected].

• Anonymous

Evidently the Governor is letting the Highway Patrol participate. They have been flying cover and/or data collection, for hours over Oakland.

• California Defender

It’s not only CHP, Anon. :)

Thank goodness!

• Truthorlie

Libby Schaaf and anyone else, who notifies people that ICE or any other law enforcement is coming, needs to be arrested.
    Everyone needs to follow our Federal Laws.

• Ron1127

no we don’t

• Truthorlie

Who is “we”?
        I would love to know why you feel “we” does not need to follow our Federal Laws.
        Also could you add why you think “we” are above the Federal Laws.

• California Defender

Well, if you read Ron’s tagline, he says he’s an “authority hating atheist”. He’s likely just a run-of-the-mill anarchist who wishes to return our society to the stone age. Such explains his short grunted comment.

• Ron1127

I live in a medical marijuana state. I could care less about federal laws, or you.

• lspanker

Yet you would probably be one of the first to quote chapter; section, and verse of the law if some state agency cut off your welfare check, right?

• Connie C

I don’t see #SocalledPresident @realDonaldTrump following the laws, especially #not the ones written in the #Consitution

• Truthorlie

Anyone else…..does include the President.
        Everyone needs to follow the United States laws.

• California Defender

When has President Trump violated the Constitution?

• BerCaley

Arrested for what?

• California Defender

It’s a clear felony violation of Title 8:

Harboring — Subsection 1324(a)(1)(A)(iii) makes it an offense for any person who — knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, conceals, harbors, or shields from detection, or attempts to conceal, harbor, or shield from detection, such alien in any place, including any building or any means of transportation.

Encouraging/Inducing — Subsection 1324(a)(1)(A)(iv) makes it an offense for any person who encourages or induces an alien to come to, enter, or reside in the United States, knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that such coming to, entry, or residence is or will be in violation of law.

Conspiracy/Aiding or Abetting — Subsection 1324(a)(1)(A)(v) expressly makes it an offense to engage in a conspiracy to commit or aid or abet the commission of the foregoing offenses.

Knowledge — Prosecutions for alien smuggling, 8 U.S.C. § 1324(a)(1)(A)(i) require proof that defendant knew that the person brought to the United States was an alien. With regard to the other violations in 8 U.S.C. § 1324(a), proof of knowledge or reckless
        disregard of alienage is sufficient.

• Truthorlie

Ok, I thought Libby was obstructing justice by interfering with law enforcement. But yes, ICE was not coming so she can not be charged with that. So the only thing she did wrong (or your thinking “right”) was adding fear to illegal aliens.

• BerCaley

Pro tip: there has to be a judicial proceeding before there can be an obstruction of justice.

• Truthorlie

She is interfering with law enforcement. But of course, democrats do not care about laws.

• BerCaley

Horse. Water.

• California Defender

Title 18 covers what Truthorlie was addressing. It is a felony when anyone “assaults, resists, opposes, impedes, intimidates, or interferes” with ANY federal law enforcement in the performance of official duties.

But I suppose your horse is ignoring Title 8, too.