Maker’s Common to close; Les Arceaux to reopen as ‘Idyllwhile’

restaurant_jimxu_staff-copy
Jim Xu/Staff

After seven months of operation, Maker’s Common announced that it will close March 4. Similarly, after five months of business, Les Arceaux has closed and will reopen March 6 as “Idyllwhile.”

Maker’s Common co-owner Sarah Dvorak cited financial pressures for the restaurant’s closure. Dvorak said she and her co-owners conducted “market research,” but their expectations for the restaurant ended up missing the mark.

Co-owner Eric Miller said the cheese and charcuterie restaurant was caught between their desire to maintain their foods’ quality and rising labor costs.

“It was important for us to use high-quality ingredients so it would be the best representation of the food we were trying to make,” Miller said. “As we moved to full service rather than counter service, our labor costs ended up being more expensive than anticipated.”

Although Maker’s Common’s space has not yet been sold, Dvorak revealed that in the meantime, the owners want to continue to use the space after the restaurant’s closure, possibly to host a winemaker’s dinner or a pop-up, rather than leave it vacant.

Dvorak said it has become harder to own an independent food business in the Bay Area. Unlike with chain establishments, she added, a single bad month can depress a local restaurant, which does not have the luxury of being floated by a business in another location.

Another locally owned restaurant, Les Arceaux, has also decided to close — for now.

A mere two weeks after closing Les Arceaux, co-owners Mikha Diaz and Alana O’Neal are reopening the space March 6 with a reimagined concept and the name “Idyllwhile.”

Unlike Les Arceaux, which was operated as a cafe by day and sit-down restaurant at night, Idyllwhile will be open from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m., Tuesday through Sunday, with counter service only. While some of the menu will remain the same, other items have been changed to be more price-friendly. Happy hour will remain from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m., and there will be new canned beer options from local breweries.

Though Idyllwhile will remain in the same location that Les Arceaux occupied, Diaz hopes that the changes will encourage the new restaurant to become a meeting spot for a more diverse group of customers.

“After we operated for almost five months, and while we were getting positive feedback at Les Arceaux, our concept was missing the mark for a cross-generational hangout spot, which was what we’d been striving for,” Diaz said. “We wanted to reformat the space to better position ourselves to meet the neighborhood’s needs.”

Diaz said it is important to for her to be attuned to the neighborhood’s wants because it is also her home.

“For me, owning and operating hospitality businesses is a way for me to connect with my community,” Diaz said. “I continue to think it’s one of the best ways to connect and serve my community.”

Contact Alexandra Stassinopoulos at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @AE_Stass.