Berkeley police detain man with concealed carry gun

crime_danielkim_file
Daniel Kim/File

Berkeley Police Department alerted the community of a man spotted with a gun Saturday night in a Nixle alert released Tuesday morning.

The alert says that a community member called BPD after spotting a man with a gun in a restaurant line on the 2100 block of Shattuck Avenue. The individual was described as a Hispanic man in his 20s, with neck and hand tattoos, wearing a black hoodie and black jeans.

The community member also reported that the gun was in the man’s back pocket.

Officers arrived on the scene a few minutes after the report and detained a suspect standing inside the restaurant without incident, according to the alert. While the suspect was in detention, officers noticed a pistol in his rear pants pocket and recovered a loaded, semi-automatic 9 mm handgun.

The suspect was identified as Oakland resident Ernest Ochoa-Tavares, 26, and was booked into the BPD Jail Facility for two misdemeanors: carrying a loaded firearm in public and carrying a concealed firearm.

We appreciate the ongoing support as partnerships like this are often critical to helping us keep the community safe,” the alert read.

Sakura Cannestra is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SakuCannestra.