Chocolate lava cakes: Unadulterated decadence

Mackenzie Cornwall/Staff

Making cookies and brownies from scratch has never been my favorite thing (except these) — they usually taste better from the box, anyway. One look at the mile-long ingredient list for chocolate chip cookies is enough to throw in the towel. There’s an easier way to experience unadulterated decadence with only six ingredients, one of which is a pinch of salt, plus ice cream, if you’re savvy: molten lava cakes. No, there’s no frozen ganache involved, no double boilers or any of that nonsense — just two bowls, a ton of melted butter and gumption. You already know it’s a winner.

Take real care when greasing and dusting the baking dishes, because this really determines how well the cakes will come out of the molds. It’ll be delicious even if they break a little bit, but it’s always more fun for everything to go just as planned.

Recipe: Chocolate lava cakes

Total time: 20 minutes | Yield: 4 four-ounce cakes

Ingredients (Adapted from the New York Times version of Jean-Georges’s molten lava cakes):

½ cup butter, melted (plus more for greasing baking dishes)

4 ounces semisweet chocolate

2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks

¼ cup white sugar

2 teaspoons of flour (plus more flourr or cocoa powder for dusting baking dishes)

Pinch of salt

Bake at 450 degrees for exactly eight minutes. Let them sit for one minute before inverting onto a plate, and another 10 seconds to let everything settle before carefully unmolding. Enjoy with ice cream, berries or anything else that catches your fancy.

Contact Sasha Ashall at [email protected].