High wind warning sweeps across Bay Area on Thursday

winds_van
CJ Van/Staff

Hold on to your hats — the National Weather Service issued a wind warning for Bay Area residents, including the coastal North Bay and East Bay interior valleys, about 11 a.m. Wednesday.

The wind advisory is in effect from 2 a.m. to 10 p.m. Thursday, according to the alert, which warns of winds from the south of 15 to 30 miles per hour with local gusts in excess of 45 miles per hour.

Impacts may include “blowing debris, difficult driving conditions for high profile vehicles, and potential for downed trees and powerlines,” and the alert advised drivers to use extra caution during the winds.

Wind speeds are expected to drop by late Monday night, leading to widespread temperature drops, according to the weather service alert. The alert also stated that frost is likely to form in coastal areas as temperatures drop to near freezing.

Weather in Berkeley continues to fluctuate — the wind warning comes after the weather service issued a freeze warning and frost advisory for the Bay Area on Feb. 20. The alert warned that subfreezing temperatures can damage or kill plants that are sensitive to cold weather, and advised people to make sure animals have warm shelter and to ensure that elderly citizens are OK.

Ani Vahradyan is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @anivahrad.