UC’s online high school course system expands, now offering 65 total courses

courses_mayavalluru_staff
Maya Valluru/Staff

UC Scout, the University of California’s online summer course system for high school students, now offers a total of 65 courses, including classes that allow students to fulfill the A-G requirements for college admission as well as 26 Advanced Placement classes, according to a press release from the UC Office of the President, or UCOP.

The program provides free courses to California high school students in order to help students become competitive in regard to college admission, according to the press release, and the expansion was funded with $4 million in funding from the state’s 2016-17 budget. Multiple courses in math, science, history, social sciences and foreign languages, among other subjects, are now available from UC Scout, according to the program’s website.

“From the District’s main office perspective, we favor expanded educational opportunities for high school students that are accessible on an equitable basis without regard to the student’s ability to pay,” said Berkeley Unified School District spokesperson Charles Burress in an email.

Burress added that the district has yet to fully evaluate the impact that the newly expanded program will have and is thus unable to comment at this time.

Forty-seven California high schools do not offer all courses in the A-G requirements for UC admissions, and access to Advanced Placement classes varies greatly among high schools, according to the press release.

Through UC Scout, students can complete online courses under a teacher or counselor from their school or pay a fee to take a premium course under an accredited UC Scout instructor. According to the UC Scout website, fees are $169 for a course in a set term and $299 for a course taken at the student’s convenience.

“This program is a critical tool to bolster college eligibility among California students, particularly those who attend schools with limited resources,” said UC President Janet Napolitano in the press release. “We are grateful for the state’s support of UC Scout and hope even more students will take advantage of the opportunities afforded by this easily accessible program.”

Contact Yao Huang at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @Yhoneplus.