Charges dropped against UC Berkeley worker arrested during labor rally

Amanda Ramirez/File

Charges against David Cole, a UC employee who was tackled and arrested by UCPD during a workers’ rally Feb. 1, were dropped Thursday about 11 a.m., according to a Facebook post by AFSCME Local 3299.

Cole, who is a member of AFSCME Local 3299, the University of California’s largest worker union, was previously charged with resisting arrest and vandalism and was released from detainment that same day.

David Cole charges dropped

On Feb. 7, about 100 demonstrators comprising union workers, UC Berkeley faculty and students rallied outside of California Hall demanding that the University of California drop all charges filed against Cole.

Berkeley City Council members also sent a letter to the Alameda County district attorney in support of Cole during their meeting Tuesday.

Ani Vahradyan is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @anivahrad.

• taxpayer22

Who knew there were so many Homophobic, Racist , hypocritical, anti-Semitic .. Xenophobes at Berkeley.

More than 100 UC Berkeley faculty members signed a petition to prevent Milo Yiannopoulos from speaking.

• BerCaley

The police officer should also get some training in how to de-escalate situations.

• Nunya Beeswax

As long as Mr Cole has to take the class as well.

• California Defender

And the rest of the faculty and students at Berkeley.

• California Defender

The officers did de-escalate the situation. The suspect was quickly arrested and the illegal mob that was rapidly turning violent soon thereafter dispersed.

Situation resolved.

• California Defender

And what does this teach students? Mob rule.

But I’m sure the students pictured above with mouths wide open, ears closed, and carrying signs with communist imagery have no interest in democracy to begin with.