UC Berkeley student arrested at Unit 1, charged with sexual assault

unit1
FIKRE-SELAM HABEBO/File

Update 03/02/18: This article has been updated to reflect information from UCPD Sgt. Tom Syto.

A 19-year-old UC Berkeley student was arrested early Tuesday morning in connection to an incident of sexual assault, according to UCPD records.

Isaac Lee was arrested at Unit 1 at 2:41 a.m. on suspicion of sexual assault and oral copulation, UCPD Sgt. Tom Syto said. Lee was taken into custody after his arrest.

The incident took place at 10:44 p.m. Monday at Deutsch Hall in Unit 1.

The suspect was charged under Penal Code 288a, or oral copulation, and Penal Code 261a-3, or rape that is accomplished where the victim is intoxicated, according to Syto.

UCPD spokesperson Sgt. Sabrina Reich told Berkeleyside that the victim and suspect knew each other. She added that UCPD did not issue a Nixle alert regarding the arrest because the suspect was immediately identified and arrested, and there is currently no ongoing or immediate threat to the community.

“I think the case is coming to a close fairly soon because the suspect was already identified and arrested,” Syto said.

Amber Tang is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @ambertang_dc.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Penal Code 288a refers to lewd or lascivious acts performed on a child under 14 years of age. In fact, Penal Code 288a refers to oral copulation.