Berkeley High School receives anonymous tip about shooting threat

berkeleyhighschool_chen-gong_file
Chen Gong/File

Berkeley High School officials received an anonymous tip Thursday afternoon about an internet posting that threatened a shooting incident at the high school.

According to a statement emailed to Berkeley High School families from principal Erin Schweng, Schweng was notified about the tip by a school resource officer about 12:30 p.m. Entrances were closed across campus and additional safety staff and administrators were posted around the school’s perimeter, Schweng said in the email.

Extra Berkeley police were stationed around the campus perimeter during dismissal and through the evening, according to Schweng’s email. Schweng added that starting Friday, the A gate on Allston Way will be closed during instructional hours.

Schweng said in her email that they do not know who made the post or whether the threat is credible, and are in communication with law enforcement to determine the credibility of the tip.

“Sadly, there has been a surge in threats, tips, and false alarms since the tragedy in Parkland, Florida, and despite the high likelihood that today’s threat will not materialize, we nevertheless have to respond immediately with appropriate resources,” Schweng said in her email. “My aim is not to be alarmist, but simply to let you know that we are taking this matter extremely seriously and prioritizing student safety over all.”

Sydney Fix is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @sydney_fix.