Coming ‘ah-choo’ with tips on avoiding the flu this season

flu_caraghmcerlean_file
Caragh McErlean/File

Constant sniffling, coughing and nose-blowing — welcome to flu season. Flu season is here, and there isn’t much we can do about it. The flu shot can’t save us all this year, as it only has a 36 percent overall success rate. We’re suffering through both midterm and flu season at the moment, and it can really suck trying to ace our exams. However, flu season can also be great as it can help bring down the curve. (We’re kidding!) Lucky for you, the Clog is here to the rescue with tips to help you avoid the flu this season.

Avoid human contact at all costs

Infectious people are all over the campus, and sometimes they’re in disguise. So don’t risk it! Avoid hand-holding, handshakes and, most definitely, hookups – sorry about it. You’ll thank us later.

Wash your hands

Please don’t go around campus touching random objects and not washing your hands afterward; you’re asking for the flu if you do this. During flu season, everything is contaminated. Door knobs, textbooks, stair rails, your friend’s lecture notes — you name it! Most likely someone sneezed on it. Sanitize your hands before eating or rubbing your eyes and nose. This will decrease your chances of transferring the virus to yourself.

Drink plenty of fluids

Stay hydrated – alcohol and coffee do not count! Drink multiple glasses of water per day. We recommend about six to nine glasses. It’s extremely important that your body is fully hydrated, so it can help fend off unwanted bacteria and viruses that enter your system. Furthermore, hydration will help keep your nostrils moist. In return, your nostrils will be able to fulfill their task of capturing bacteria before it enters your lungs.

Stay warm

With hurricanelike winds and temperatures below 50 degrees, winter has certainty made its debut in Berkeley. Blast that heater and put on your coziest sweaters – you’ll need it. Avoiding the cold will help keep your immune system healthy and active, ready to fight any unwanted germs coming your way!

If you do notice yourself having symptoms of the flu – coughing, fever, runny nose and nasal congestion – make sure to start taking medication right away! Early action will surely shorten your sick time. Fight off the flu, Golden Bears. We’re wishing you the best of luck.

Contact Kelly Fong at [email protected].