4 reasons why people change their LinkedIn statuses 8 months in advance

Lianne Frick/File

It’s that time of year again: Everyone’s getting internships, not-so-subtly bragging about where they’ll be working during the summer and, of course, changing career statuses on social media like Facebook, Twitter and especially the one and only LinkedIn. Here are some reasons why people feel compelled to update the world on their career status.

Show off to family and friends

If you’ve been applying to internships nonstop for the past couple of months, you definitely want to revel in the glory of getting a legitimate and meaningful job over the summer by letting your family and friends know of your accomplishment. Also, it doesn’t hurt to say, “Look at all the great stuff I’ve accomplished, Mom!”

Future scheming

This one’s a little more crafty. Say you intern at one company but really want to work at another company with a similar job description and application process in the future. Changing your status as an incoming intern will show the other dream future workplace that you’ve had professional experience in a similar sector. It’s all about that resume building and future planning!

Give the competition something to be worried about

You want your competition to know exactly what’s going on during your summer, especially if you got that prestigious internship you’ve been talking about since the beginning of the year. Let the competition know how competent, intelligent and successful you are by updating your LinkedIn headline with this one power move.

Genuine pride

Applying for internships and jobs is honestly one of the most stressful and difficult things about college. Regardless of what the internship is all about, you should be extremely proud that your hard work and determination have paid off and show off that pride (even if it’s on LinkedIn).

Good luck in all of your internship endeavors and LinkedIn shenanigans, Bears!

Contact Ananya Sreekanth at [email protected].