PSA: Oski has an Instagram and deserves more love

coloredited_caraghmcerlean_oski
Caragh McErlean/Senior Staff

Oski has captured the hearts of all students and faculty of UC Berkeley. With so many talents, such as doing his signature skipping walk for countless hours and chugging beers through a tube in his eye, it’s more than safe to say that Oski is our favorite Golden Bear. Because he was initiated as our mascot in 1941, some may think that Oski is withering out of modern times. If anything, Oski is even more hip and trendy than current students who cuff their pants and wear Thrasher hoodies. Not only is this shown through his stylish grandma look, but also through his very own Instagram @cal_oski. Yeah, you read that right! Oski has an Instagram. 

Although Oski is everyone’s favorite Golden Bear, it seems that his Instagram doesn’t get as much love. With his account having surfaced in 2015, we are deeply saddened by the fact that Oski’s account only has 886 followers! With a student body of 41,910 people, this calculates to only about 2 percent of our student body following Oski. This has to be one of the most disappointing things we’ve discovered about UC Berkeley, and we’ve come across a lot of disappointment! With other mascot accounts, including UCLA’s own Josie @uclajosie and Joe Bruin @uclajoebruin ranking in with a combined 6,378 followers, can we really say we’re the No. 1 public university in the world? Maybe this is why UCLA is close to outranking us.

Honestly, Oski has some of the best content out there. With high-quality photos, relatable captions and even a few guest appearances from other schools’ mascots, you’re given more than enough reasons to follow Oski on Instagram. (Even if he doesn’t hit you with that follow back, it’s well worth messing up your ratio). His overall aesthetic beats any sk8er boi or international student we’ve seen around campus. If you don’t believe us, take a look for yourself!

Oski has dedicated more than 75 years to us, and we have the audacity to not return the love? Fellow Bears, we think it’s time to really appreciate our daddy bear, Oski, in all his glory. Go check out his Instagram @cal_oski and hit that follow button.

Oski, if you happen to glance at this article, we at the Clog hope you get the love you deserve.

Contact Joyce Cam at [email protected].