Women to look up to this International Women’s Day

janelle_monae_wikimedia_cc
Wikimedia/Creative Commons

So far, 2018 has been an amazing year for incredible women in all areas and fields. We at the Clog have provided the following list of women to celebrate this International Women’s Day.

Arts and entertainment: Reese Witherspoon and Janelle Monáe

Oscar-winning actress and producer Reese Witherspoon doesn’t have time to let doubt or fear get in the way of her goals. She has more than 23 projects in the works for this year alone, including the upcoming film adaption of “A Wrinkle in Time” (premiering March 9), the next season of the wildly successful show “Big Little Lies” and much, much more. She has also spearheaded the Time’s Up movement in Hollywood, speaking out against sexual harassment and discrimination in all forms. Witherspoon has also spoken up as part of the #MeToo movement, and she recently announced her own size-inclusive clothing line. Whatever Witherspoon is doing, you know it’s by women and for women, and that’s what makes her the first person on my list of women to look up to this year.

Artist/actress/producer extraordinaire Janelle Monáe has returned to music in 2018 in the wake of her incredible acting debut in “Moonlight” and “Hidden Figures.” Monáe not only serves as a role model for women of color, but for queer women as well, as shown in her electrifying new music video for her hit single “Make Me Feel.” Monáe has also been a large part of the Time’s Up movement, and she gave a moving speech at this year’s Grammys in which she declared it’s “times up for harassment of any kind.” Monáe’s ferocity combined with her creative talent makes her a force to be reckoned with.

Sports: Chloe Kim

While the United States may not have placed first this past Winter Olympics, we still managed to bring home 23 medals — 12 of which came from women. One of these incredible women is 17-year-old snowboarder Chloe Kim. Kim captured the hearts of many Americans with her cheerful spirit and record-breaking skill, and she even managed to land her own Barbie doll after winning gold at her first Olympics this year. Kim is apparently only one of many in what Barbie is calling the Inspiring Women series, which, along with Barbie’s “sheroes” series, is composed of female heroes who will be immortalized as Barbies just in time for International Women’s Day!

Social justice: Emma González 

High schooler and activist Emma González shook the world with her speech on gun control. A survivor of the horrific Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, González’s words finally seemed to rattle the cores of adults and children alike. Gonzales and many of her fellow students — many of whom were survivors of this act of domestic terror — have chosen not to be used as props for either side of political arguments, but instead to stand up and lift their own voices in spite of the trauma and backlash they’ve experienced, speaking out on social media and beyond to ensure their voices are heard.

STEM: Celebrating women in science 

Even in 2018, it’s not easy to navigate academic, scientific and technological industries as women. This article published by Science Mag gives many examples of female researchers, professors and scientists who give their takes on finding themselves in male-dominated spaces. Women like the women listed in Science Mag’s article are continuing to lay the groundwork for future women in STEM, battling impostor syndrome and sexism, condescension and harassment in these fields. They’re not asking for a space in STEM — they’re taking it.

Sex positivity and mental health: Adult Sh1T Podcast

If you’re looking for a podcast that’s both hilarious and incredibly honest, Buzzfeed’s Kate Peterman and Kelsey Darragh host Adult Sh1t, where the tagline is “Where we f-ck up so you don’t have to!” Along with biweekly guests, Peterman and Darragh talk about everything from relationships, sex positivity and self care to eating disorders, anxiety and depression. Available on iTunes, YouTube and SoundCloud, AdultSh1t is the podcast we all could use while we figure this whole “adulting” thing out. Don’t just take my word for it — give it a listen!

Contact Lauren West at [email protected].