Burma Superstar’s meals live up to its superstar name

Yiran Chen/Staff

We can all agree that Burmese food is one of the greatest introductions to the Bay. Every dish is uniquely made with various ingredients guaranteed to satisfy your taste buds. Burma Superstar is one of the most popular Burmese restaurants in the Bay Area. Open since 1992, it has locations in San Francisco, Alameda and Oakland. The Oakland location is right on Telegraph Avenue, about a 10-minute drive from campus!

There are a ton of delicious dishes you can choose from on the menu, and you can’t go wrong with any of them because they’re all equally appetizing. To start off, we recommend that you order the tea leaf or rainbow salad — both can be made vegetarian. The tea leaf salad is what Burma Superstar is most famous for. The restaurant has won multiple awards for it, the biggest being Sunset magazine’s Best of the West in 2013. Made with romaine lettuce, a variety of nuts, fried garlic, sesame seeds, fresh tomatoes, jalapeños and dried shrimp, the tea leaf salad consists of a variety of flavors and textures that will make you rave about it to all your friends. The rainbow salad has a quite a different taste. Fresh, crunchy, savory and consisting of 22 different ingredients, the rainbow salad will surely make your tongue dance!

We promise that you’ll have a difficult time choosing your main dishes. There are just too many to choose from! The chili lamb and the pumpkin pork stew are definitely worth a try. The chili lamb is made perfectly. With every bite, the tender lamb stir-fried with dried and fresh chili, onions and basil will most definitely melt your taste buds. The pumpkin pork stew, cooked with kabocha squash and ginger, complements the coconut rice perfectly. Don’t even get us started on their bomb-ass coconut rice — it is literally to die for.

For our vegetarians, we recommend that you try Burma Superstar’s eggplant and tofu curry and mango tofu. The mango tofu is extremely unique. The tofu is made just perfectly, doused in the restaurant’s sweet and flavorful mango sauce and topped with a few slices of fresh mangoes. We are drooling just thinking about it! Are you feeling noodles? Then the nan gyi dok (also known as the coconut chicken rice noodle curry) is calling your name. The taste of coconut will just explode in your mouth.

Burma Superstar is a superstar in our books. The wait can be quite long, especially during dinnertime. Arrive early to beat the line and enjoy some insanely mouthwatering bites! We promise you won’t regret it.

Contact Kelly Fong at [email protected].