Editors’ Note: Mar. 11

weekender logo
Hannah Cooper/Senior Staff

This week, The Weekender brings a feature interview with the organizers of the International Conference on Hoarding and Cluttering, which is set to take place March 22-23 — hosted for the first time at the UC Berkeley ASUC Student Union. Staff writer Alex Jiménez spoke with the associate director of the Mental Health Association of San Francisco about the condition, which the organization is working to both educate about and destigmatize.

UC Berkeley’s campus has been reacting and responding to the sordid allegations of sexual assault and drugging at the Sigma Chi fraternity. The Daily Californian editorial board released an editorial calling the ASUC to step in where the Interfraternity Council has failed. In this commentary, staff writer and sorority member Alejandra Dechet processes the anger the incident has generated while trying to find a way forward for Greek life.

Stepping back into the past, Kesh Wang looks at the infamous kidnapping of Patty Hearst and her conversion to radicalized operative. Many have attributed her path to Stockholm syndrome — a condition often talked about casually, but for which not much research exists to quantify.

Continuing back even farther, into the 1960s, UC Berkeley Law Student Mukund Rathi interviews Sam Farber, a veteran of the Free Speech Movement on campus, in a special to the Daily Californian. The two discuss what currents defined the movement at the time, and how Farber — now a professor emeritus of political science at City University of New York — feels that Chancellor Carol Christ’s characterizations of the movement and calls for dialogue between all sides today sometimes miss the point.

Finally, we wrap up this issue with a poem by staff writer Madelyn Peterson: “City of Stars.” In it, she asserts that you shouldn’t let where you are in life (either geographically or metaphorically) define where you go next.