UC Berkeley sophomore Nick Araujo announces independent candidacy for ASUC Senate

nick-araujo_jjordan_ss
Joshua Jordan/Senior Staff

UC Berkeley sophomore Nick Araujo announced his independent candidacy for the ASUC Senate on Sunday evening.

Araujo said he is running for senate to uplift the Latinx community and has been endorsed by the campus Latinx caucus. His platforms include fighting for educational equity, drafting police reform policy and increasing professional development resources for the Latinx community.

During his freshman year, Araujo worked on the Fund the UC campaign while interning in the ASUC. This year, Araujo served as chief of staff for Latinx-endorsed Senator Vicente Román.

“There is purpose and value in running an independent campaign that is rooted in community,” Araujo said. “It’s more emotional labor, it’s more grassroots … allows you to make audacious and grand goals.”

Growing up in Moreno Valley, California, with a single mother from Mexico, Araujo said that he “broke barriers” in his community when he came to Berkeley. He said his work in the ASUC will continue to “transcend borders.”

Araujo hopes to improve the pipeline between the admissions office and organizations, such as the bridges Multicultural Resource Center, to better communicate what students need in order to improve campus diversity. He also said he plans to strengthen relationships with undocumented and Latinx alumni working at companies in order to provide networking opportunities for current UC Berkeley students from the undocumented and Latinx communities.

Araujo’s co-campaign manager Kimberly Robledo said Araujo has supported her as an undocumented student and has helped her grow as a person.

“He was able to see everything I was experiencing (and) that my community experiences day by day,” Robledo said.

Araujo’s other co-campaign manager Lily Calleros said that it is “embedded in his persona” to give back to the community.

“If he were to be in senate … I would have hope in the ASUC that the legislation would reflect my narrative,” Calleros said.

ASUC elections voting will take place April 9-11.

Hannah Piette is the lead student government reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @Hannah_PietteDC.