UC Berkeley begins search for next vice chancellor for student affairs

UC Berkeley recently began its search for the next vice chancellor for student affairs, or VCSA.

The position is part of the Division of Student Affairs, which oversees campus services related to student life — including financial aid, housing and enrollment.

Stephen Sutton — the current interim vice chancellor for student affairs — is being considered as a candidate for the permanent position, according to campus spokesperson Diana Harvey.

The VCSA Search Committee will head the search process and Chancellor Carol Christ will serve as the committee chair, according to the committee roster. The committee is soliciting feedback from students and other members of the school community, according to an email sent to campus students by Dana Jantz, a staff member of the committee.

“The committee is seeking student input about the challenges and opportunities facing the next VCSA, as well as the skills and qualities they should be looking for in potential candidates,” the email said. “Student feedback is particularly critical to this search process — Your candid feedback will greatly assist the committee in learning about perspectives that may not be fully represented by committee members.”

Sutton was first appointed to the VCSA position in early 2017, after the previous VCSA Harry Le Grande retired in December 2016. Prior to being appointed VCSA, Sutton served as associate vice chancellor for residential and student service programs.

Harvey declined to comment, explaining that the search for the new VCSA is already underway.

In order to garner input on the committee’s search for potential candidates, the email included a link to a survey.

The survey will close Thursday and input will be confidential, according to the email. The email also encouraged students to distribute the survey to anyone in the campus community who may want to provide feedback.

Sutton also declined to comment.

Contact Amanda Yao at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @AmandaJYao.