Transgender activist faces charges of 3 counts of murder

crime_danielkim_staff
Daniel Kim/File

3/19/2018 Update: This article has been updated to reflect additional information about Dana Rivers’ activism for the transgender community.

Transgender activist and former teacher Dana Rivers is being charged with three counts of murder and will face an arraignment hearing March 21.

Rivers, 63, was arrested in November 2016 for the murder of Charlotte Reed, 57, and Toto Diambu, 19, who is also known as Benny Diambu-Wright, as well as former BUSD teacher Patricia Wright, 56. Oakland Police Department, or OPD, responded to a report of gunshots on the 9400 block of Dunbar Drive, according to Alameda County’s probable cause for warrantless arrest report.

According to the arrest report, when OPD officers arrived on the scene, they found a male victim lying in front of the residence with an apparent stab wound. Rivers allegedly walked out of the residence covered in blood and was detained by OPD.

“She began to make spontaneous statements about her involvement in the murders,” the report said.

In 1999 Rivers gained national attention after she no longer had a teaching position in Sacramento due to controversy surrounding her transition. Rivers then became an advocate for transgender rights.

Rivers’ arraignment is set for 9 a.m. on March 21 at the René C. Davidson Courthouse, according to the Alameda County Inmate Locator service.

Contact Ella Colbert at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @colbert_ella.