ICE arrests at least 1 person in South Berkeley raid

ice_davidgomez_courtesy2
David Gomez/Courtesy

Update 3/16/2018: This developing story has been updated to reflect new information from sources.

One individual was arrested by Homeland Security Investigations, or HSI, a branch of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, near a housing complex by 2218 Parker St. about 11 a.m. Friday.

The detainments mark one of the first publicly known ICE raids in Berkeley since the start of the recent nationwide crackdown on undocumented individuals. 

Although one arrest was confirmed, the Rapid Response Network for Alameda County initially said three individuals were detained but added that no other information is known about the individuals at this time.

Funded by Oakland and Alameda County, the organization is a 24/7 hotline to provide a “rapid response to legal needs of Alameda County residents and families facing (imminent) deportation.”

Third-year law student Kim Ouillette witnessed the detainment from her home. She said she saw at least six unmarked cars parked in the driveway, with officers in HSI vests filing out. When Ouillette initially approached the scene, she said the officers told her that they were just conducting a routine investigation and would not be “picking anyone up.” Later, however, Ouillette said she saw the officers handcuff and arrest at least one individual.

I was just really shocked and really upset,” Ouillette said. “It was frustrating to have the officers lie to me, because it took me longer to act on what was happening. They told me explicitly that they weren’t picking anyone up, and then I saw that they were arresting people.”

None of the neighbors know the identities of the detained individuals, according to Ouillette. She said she was one of the first neighbors on the scene — soon after she arrived, many residents gathered and called the Rapid Response Network hotline to figure out how to secure legal services for the three detained individuals.

According to Yadira Sanchez, the Northern California regional organizer for the California Immigrant Youth Justice Alliance, there were other reports of ICE activity around Alameda County on Friday morning, including near Ashby Avenue in Berkeley.

Sanchez added that neighbors notified the Rapid Response Network for Alameda County, which dispatched legal observers to the scene of detainment. The legal observers are currently working to assist the families of the detained individuals.

In response to one Berkeley resident’s tweet, Mayor Jesse Arreguín tweeted Friday that his office is looking into the detainment. After several false ICE sightings in the past few months, Berkeley community members have been on alert about immigration raids. This incident comes after ICE conducted immigration sweeps in the Bay Area earlier this month that resulted in the detainment of more than 150 individuals.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Contact Amber Tang and Malini Ramaiyer at [email protected].

• hoapres

Now what we need to do is an h1b roundup to put Americans back to work.

• Joey

Disqus not showing my pro immigrant
    Rights comments, stay pending for days
    While racist anti imigrant ones seem approved fast. What’s up with that?

• roccolore

Mexicans like you are racists.

• fed up tax payer

IRS 1.3 million identity stolen by illegals .Wonder what happened if liberal Judges and Democrat Governor’s and Senators had their stolen.

• Debra Lavelle

Aww she got lied too!!! what about all the lying illegals do?? False document’s driving without a license identity theft welfare… Please round em up and boot them out.

• Dan Tas

Good job ICE, keep rounding them up.

• chinaskee

There is a simple way to avoid being picked up by ICE. And that is to stay in your own country and not enter this one illegally in the first place.

• James Connolly

id imagine that’s really comforting to the thousands of children fleeing from violence caused by U.S. sponsored civil wars in their countries

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/29/el-salvador-children-journey-us

• California Defender

There is a LEGAL process for taking in refugees. And yes, I agree that the US should fully stop the foreign interventions, both hot and cold.

• hoapres

Putting America back to work one deportation at a time.

• BR

Right. Someone be sure to forward this guy an application for the menial janitorial or agricultural job the deported individual probably had.

• hoapres

Works for me.

Wages go up and it’s a win-win for everybody. Don’t worry if the work needs to get done then eventually it will.

• cleftintwain

Pro tip: always assume every word that comes out of a law enforcement officials mouth is a lie. They are professional liars. Its what they do.

• Anshe Paqx

So being illegal is right and proper ?
      Illegally entering a country is legal now?
      Next raping and killing will be legal ?

• James Connolly

“One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws”
        -Martin Luther King

• fed up tax payer

Unjust law what a crock.

• fed up tax payer

It works though. Illegals lie all the time

• roccolore

Illegal alien apologists like you are liars.

• cleftintwain

85,000 comments. That’s just sad, bro. I sincerely hope that you can one day overcome whatever demons you are struggling with. Peace.

• roccolore

You don’t like that I exposed you for the MS-13 apologist that you are.

• California Defender

It’s called civil discourse and this virtual public square is a great place to engage in it.

As you’re new at this, I’ll suggest that you resist the compulsive need to insult which is common among those espousing leftist ideologies. It doesn’t help your point (if you were making one), but I trust you’ll get the hang of it with more practice.

• FullBlownTDS

Keep flooding their hotlines with fake sightings. Then the Invaders “legal counsel” snowflakes won’t know where to show up when the real deal hits. Need a dozen of these raids daily in each city to start undoing the damage such as the mattresses on the street corner that pops up every night.

• That Guy

Finally someone is doing something about the housing shortage.

• hoapres

If you really want to make a serious dent in the housing shortage then deport h1bs. The result will be a rise in tech wages and the exiting of tech firms.

• That Guy

are you an idiot?

• hoapres

If tech companies had to play by the same labor rules that everybody else does then a lot of tech LEAVES the Bay Area.

• Kungaloosh

Obi-Wan Hoapres,

A question for you: It’s 2018. What are your predictions for the tech job market this year?

• hoapres

Hard to say. Frankly I thought 2017 was going to a lot rougher than it turned out to be. If you are an American over 40 looking for a tech job in 2018 then it isn’t likely to be any better than it was in 2017.

The plus is that some companies are starting to be concerned about hiring h1bs which means that Americans might actually have a shot at a tech job.

The minus is that LOTS of these tech companies that I thought would be out of money are still hanging around in 2018 along with the 2018 tax cuts that are working its way through the economy.

• Joey

Gestapo

• Dan Tas

Law enforcement dipshit.

• I’m going to let Joey watch as I foul every orifice on your body.

• Dan Tas

“Joey” is that the inbred hillbilly harelip from Kaintucky. He sounds like he he lives in a great neck of the woods, if you’re a goat or a hog.

• Jorge Carolinos

Oddly you don’t say KGB.

• roccolore

You Mexicans are the Nazis who hate America.

• Steven

Non violent illegals should be allowed to stay. They pay more in taxes then Trump, work hard, and contribute to our society. Let the punishment fit the crime .

• Mike B

Tell that to the people who emigrated legally, it’s a total slap in the face.

• James Connolly

hows that? they can stay too. Whats really a slap in the face to legal immigrants is anti-immigrant sentiment in the press and mouths of our politicians. They came to live here not be treated like scum. Now the supreme court is ruling that even green card holders can be detained indefinitely (https://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrants-rights/immigrants-rights-and-detention/it-constitutional-lock-immigrants). Talk about a slap to the face!

• James Connolly
        • Mike B

Maybe because they waited years and spent thousands of dollars, and then watch as liberals and leftist collude with foreigners to break immigration laws.
          And, like a true lying leftist, you conflate illegal immigrants with legal immigrants, most conservatives are pro legal immigration and anti illegal immigrantion, but you leftist are so used to lying, you probably don’t even know what the truth is anymore.

• James Connolly

IM not lying or conflating the two, it is the law that is conflating them.
            If you read the article it clearly states that in the Jennings v. Rodriguez case the plaintiff, Alejandro Rodriguez had “Lawful Permanent Resident” status. Aka he was a Green Card holder, he also had a full time job as a dental assistant.
            Nonetheless he was imprisoned for 3 years without due process. The Supreme court ruled this was justified and doing so they ruled that it was justified to imprison LEGAL immigrants (not just legal but green card which is the highest level of legal status) indefinitely. Yes this is after his family waited years and spent “thousands of dollars” to obtain legal status and now immigrants all over the country are watching as hard-line anti-immigrant sentiment is leading to decisions like this which stripped a man of his right to ‘speedy trial’ as he rotted in a cell waiting for a judge to hear his case for THREE YEARS to decide whether he should be deported despite his LEGAL immigration status.
            Nothing could be more of a slap to the face than that.

• FullBlownTDS

Thank God there is SOME remote resemblance of law and order in this land

• FullBlownTDS

I go to Disneyland to cut in line for all the rides with that exact same reasoning… It makes my life better. And you know what? Those Trumpian bastages threw me out over the wall… ER… I mean gates. Just like the sign said they would.

• T. N.

LIE. Yo

• fed up tax payer

Hard working illegals who trying to BS

• California Defender

Not quite, Steve. Illegal aliens don’t pay income taxes on illegal pay which is frequently below minimum wage. You may be referring to sales tax which is minuscule and goes to state coffers, not the US treasury.

In addition, there is fairness and morality. Allowing illegal aliens to stay is unfair to legal immigrants as we are a nation of laws that are applied to everyone equally. Nobody should be above the law.

The punishment (it really isn’t one) is deportation which does fit the crime. In fact, it’s quite lenient. I hope you reconsider your position, especially if you have children as illegal immigration will hurt them the most.

• disgusted_union_member

3 less illegals. a bunch more to go.

• Moochydacat

how much have you contributed to society today, troll scumbag?

• roccolore

You Mexicans are scumbags.

• Moochydacat

racist needledick

• roccolore

You Mexicans are racists.

• roccolore

Racist Mexican coward, have you ever read your own country’s immigration laws?

• hoapres

If you are an illegal alien then just get deported.

Problem solved.

• Moochydacat

how about you stop being a nazi bootlicker?

• fed up tax payer

How about just following the law? It is funny how everyone’s either racist or nazi. When it comes to following the law reguard illegals

• BerCaley

More vodka, Mister Misspeller?
          Your command of English isn’t even third grade.

• fed up tax payer

I had to dumb it down so you liberals could understand it .

• fed up tax payer

I just dumbed it down so you could understand it.

• Moochydacat

everybody you know is racist.

• fed up tax payer

Damn right when it comes to illegals. Most followed the law whereas illegals are scum

• Moochydacat

self-admitted needledick nazi says what now?

• roccolore

Mexicans like you are known racists.

• roccolore

You Mexicans are the Nazis.