Cool spots just outside the Berkeley bubble

cities_jessicagleason_file
Jessica Gleason/File

Tired of eating at La Burrita and taking pictures at the Big C? We at the Clog don’t blame you. It’s pretty easy to forget there’s a world outside of Berkeley.

At one time or another, we all get trapped inside the Berkeley bubble. What defines you as a person is your ability to find a way out. Just kidding. But seriously, there are some really cool spots just outside of Berkeley in its neighboring cities. No, we don’t mean San Francisco — Alameda, Oakland and Emeryville have a lot to offer.

Just to name a few of these cities’ cool spots:

Lake Merritt

It’s an oldie, but a goodie. The view of Downtown Oakland above the reflective body of water makes for a great Instagram post along with a nice afternoon. Lake Merritt is beautiful by itself, but it’s also surrounded by restaurants with delicious food to enjoy indoors or out, perhaps on the grass surrounding the lake.

Emeryville Public Market

If you’re looking to shop or stuff your face with food from around the world, Emeryville’s Public Market is the spot to be. It’s got 14 food spots, an Orangetheory and an Urban Outfitters. What else could you want?

The Hideaway

Once you get tired of Saturn’s vegan milkshakes, you can head to Rockridge for The Hideaway’s booze-infused milkshakes. Don’t worry if you’re underage; they have burgers and regular milkshakes as well.

Alameda Point Antiques Faire

On the first Sunday of every month, Alameda puts on its antique fair. The rules of the fair ensure that all items are more than 20 years old, meaning you can reach your full hipster potential. What a cool way to decorate your new apartment, right? If you don’t want to shop, you can check out the awesome view of San Francisco.

Tilden Regional Park

From Inspiration Point to Grizzly Peak, Tilden has got some stunning views and great hikes. Make sure to bring your athletic shoes and your camera for a day of fresh air and killer photo ops. Tilden even has a merry-go-round.

Ocean Beach

Okay, so this one is in SF. You can’t blame us, though, because as soon as the weather gets a little warmer, it’s going to be a great place to spend a Saturday.

Japanese Gardens

Over in Oakland sits a beautiful Japanese garden filled with wooden bridges and koi ponds. If you need some time to ponder life or admire some fish, it’s a wonderful place to escape the Berkeley bubble.

These spots are only a fraction of the cool things surrounding Berkeley. Do some research on your own and don’t be afraid to explore your surroundings! 

Contact Hailey Johnson at [email protected].