Rising senior Don Coleman to transfer from Cal basketball

mhoops_joshuajordan_ss2-1
Joshua Jordan/File

Rising senior guard Don Coleman has announced that he will be transferring from Cal at the end of this semester.

Coleman made the announcement via Twitter in the form of a screenshotted note:

“After careful consideration and conversations with my loved ones, I believe it is my best interest to transfer from Cal,” Coleman wrote in the tweet.

Coleman has not announced his next destination, but he is expected to transfer to another Division I school. Because of NCAA transfer regulations, he will sit out the 2018-19 season but will be eligible to play his senior year in the 2019-20 season.

Coleman came to Cal in 2016 as a transfer from Lawson State Community College in Birmingham, Alabama.

In his first season with Cal, he appeared in 27 games, coming off the bench in all but one game.  As a reserve, he averaged 4.6 points per game on a 37.5 field goal percentage.

Following the vital losses of Grant Mullins and Charlie Moore, Coleman established himself as a key player in the Bears’ roster. This past season, Coleman started 21 games for the Bears and averaged 14.7 points per game.

Coleman stood out particularly in the beginning of the season, tallying double-digit performances in the Bears’ first seven games, three of which were of the 30-point variety. After that stretch, however, he faced problems with consistency and shot selection, eventually closing out this season with a dismal 33.5 field goal percentage.

In his final game for Cal, Coleman put up just a single point during 21 minutes of play against rival Stanford in the Pac-12 tournament. At that point, his performance had been overshadowed by up-and-coming freshman on the Bears’ squad.

While Coleman’s departure certainly shakes up the Bears’ lineup a bit, it will likely not affect the overall structure of the team.

Rising sophomores Darius McNeill, Justice Sueing and Juhwan Harris-Dyson will likely serve as Cal’s “Big Three” in the 2018-2019 season. The triumvirate has already proven that they can lead the Bears in scoring, and the three will likely only continue to improve as they work with one another.

Sophie Goethals covers men’s basketball. Contact her at [email protected]

• Steve Fischer

Our program is sad.