Around town with Allison: Off the wall! Instagram-worthy walls in Oakland

allisonfong_mugsketch

Living in the Bay Area has many perks  — one of them being the ability to access so many beautiful pieces of street art. With our busy schedules, it’s hard to make time to take in the scenery and admire what we have around us. Last month we explored the most Instagram-worthy walls in Berkeley, but this time, we are getting out of the Berkeley bubble and going beyond the routes of Bear Transit and the 51B. Our next search for Instagram-worthy walls brings us to Oakland, Berkeley’s fun and hip neighbor. Oakland is home to many great things: delicious food, amazing people, beautiful history and, most importantly, some killer art. What says millennial more than posting photos of yourself standing in front of a wall for likes and recognition? Nothing — but don’t worry, there’s no shame in this game. Standing in front of a wall and snapping a quick pic is probably the easiest way to liven up your social media. Grab your friends and go explore Oakland and some of its most Instagram-worthy walls.

allisonfong_staff2

Location: 1501 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Oakland, CA 94612

Heather Day has blessed us all with her signature abstract art in a multicolored mural that stretches the entire length of FLAX Art & Design in Oakland. This San Francisco-based artist is known to push the boundaries of traditional art and draws a lot of inspiration from the world around her. This one’s definitely a showstopper!

allisonfong_staff

Conveniently located at the same location, FLAX Art & Design also offers another hidden gem. Situated on the back of the store facing its private lot is a piece by Austrian urban artist Nychos. This piece features a dissection of a Tyrannosaurus rex, created entirely with spray paint. A lot of Nychos’ work focuses on the anatomy of humans and animals, and it can be seen all over the world!

allisonfong_staff3

Location: 151 10th St., Oakland, CA 94607

Known for his skillful sketches and watercolor paintings, Dante Orpilla didn’t hold back for his collaboration piece with the nonprofit organization Dragon School, which aims to strengthen a sense of community in Oakland through art. This minimal and detailed work of art is definitely a sight worth seeing!

allisonfong_staff1

Location: 1501 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94612

Located on the walls of Ume Yoga, this piece created by Miles Toland has caught the eyes of many. It depicts the Dharmachakra mudra, a gesture that represents the union of knowledge and method. Explained in Toland’s Instagram post, “it’s more about merging and working with the duality that’s within ourselves,” and by “balanc[ing] ourselves … our other relationships will balance as well.” 

Charge up your phone, delete those storage-hogging apps, and grab your friends, because there are a bunch of pictures to be taken and a number of Instagram-worthy walls to explore!

Allison Fong writes the weekly blog column on places and activities to try in and around Berkeley. Contact her at [email protected].