Former Tang Center employee dismissed from sexual harassment lawsuit

ericsamuels_mug-copy

Former Tang Center employee Eric Samuels has been dismissed from a lawsuit in which he was accused of allegedly sexually harassing a student who was a patient at the center, according to his attorney, Jamie Dupree.

The lawsuit was filed Sept. 28 by an anonymous UC Berkeley student against Samuels — who at the time was a postdoctoral fellow working at the center — and the UC Board of Regents. The complaint alleged that during therapy sessions with the student at the Tang Center’s Counseling and Psychological Services, Samuels made comments about and asked questions regarding her sexual experiences and filmed sessions without her consent.

Dupree said in an email that the UC entered its own settlement with the student in the amount of $250,000 but added that it has not yet been approved by the Board of Regents. According to campus spokesperson Janet Gilmore, the plaintiff dismissed all claims related to sexual harassment, including dismissing Samuels from the lawsuit.

“Due to the confidential nature of the therapy relationship, he could not respond in detail to plaintiff’s allegations,” Dupree said in an email. “University officials and experts reviewing the therapy records and the video found no sexual harassment. … Dr. Samuels is relieved to have his name cleared.”

The remaining professional negligence claim against the UC Board of Regents has been resolved as part of the settlement, Gilmore said in an email.

“Though we are pleased that the matter has been resolved, we are saddened when any student feels that the campus failed them in some way,” Gilmore said in an email. We are committed to creating and maintaining a campus environment where everyone feels safe and respected. We have taken numerous steps in recent years to strengthen those efforts and that work continues.”

Sydney Fix is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @sydney_fix.