Former Cal men’s basketball legend inducted into Basketball Hall of Fame

jason kidd. ethan janson
Ethan Janson/File

Jason Kidd is headed to Springfield.

It was announced Thursday that the former Cal men’s basketball guard will be inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.

Along with Kidd, Grant Hill,  Steve Nash, Maurice “Mo” Cheeks, WNBA legend Tina Thompson and former executive Rod Thorn will be formally announced this weekend at the Final Four in San Antonio.

Kidd concluded his NBA career averaging 12.6 points, 6.3 rebounds and an eye-popping 8.7 assists per game. His 12,091 career assists rank second only to Hall of Famer John Stockton.

With the Bears, Kidd was an All-American selection and 1994 Pac-12 Player of the Year as a sophomore, averaging 16.7 points, 6.9 rebounds and 9.1 assists. He ultimately had his jersey retired in 2004.

Following two seasons at Cal, Kidd burst onto the professional scene, winning the 1994-95 NBA Rookie of the Year award and thus kicking off a 19-year run that included 10 All-Star appearances and a championship in 2011 with the Dallas Mavericks.

After the conclusion of his playing career, Kidd transitioned to coaching, spending a year at the helm of the Brooklyn Nets before a stint with the Milwaukee Bucks that ended earlier this season.

Just last year, Kidd was inducted into the Cal Athletics Hall of Fame, but it’s safe to say that Thursday’s news is near or at the top of his most notable accomplishments.

Josh Yuen is an assistant sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @joshcal2020