Last year’s battles were fought over free speech. The year before, it was faculty sexual misconduct — and before that, the campus budget. Next year’s battles could be all three or something else yet unforeseen.

Regardless, UC Berkeley students rely on their elected officials in the ASUC Senate and executive offices to advocate on their behalf to campus administrators, local officials or national organizations. Student government representatives fight on the front lines of campus conversations, ensuring students with little power are not run over, forgotten or overlooked.

With 40,000 students, it’s a tough task, and this year’s candidates came with a slew of methods — and a slew of disagreements — over how best to do this. The Daily Californian editorial board interviewed each candidate and considered their experience, platforms and values when deciding who to endorse. UC Berkeley students deserve representatives who will tackle important issues head-on, and we’re confident these individuals will.

To vote in the ASUC elections, click here. 

Juniperangelica Cordova for president

cordova_mugBold. That’s what students should want an ASUC president to be, and that’s what they’ll get from CalSERVE’s Juniperangelica Cordova.

Hung Huynh for executive vice president

hung_mug

As a current senator, Hung Huynh has shown an ability to adapt and get results for the students who elect him, and he is poised to execute his plan of improving the transfer of institutional knowledge from one senate class to another.

Nuha Khalfay for external affairs vice president

nuha_mug

While state and local trends seem stacked against the Berkeley community, CalSERVE’s Nuha Khalfay is the only candidate on the ballot who is informed, committed and prepared to advocate for students.

Melany Amarikwa for academic affairs vice president

melany_mug

The AAVP’s most important job is ensuring major projects that directly improve students’ academic experience are completed, and Melany Amarikwa has both the institutional knowledge and the clear (and achievable) plans to earn your vote this year.

Sophie Bandarkar for student advocate

sophie

The student advocate must be able to navigate meetings with administrators, fight for funding and manage casework with both tact and compassion. With three years in the Student Advocate’s Office — two as a caseworker and one as the external chief of staff — Bandarkar has extensive and unparalleled institutional knowledge to do just that.

Here are the 20 ASUC senate candidates you should vote for this year

senators-copy

For the first time in recent memory, The Daily Californian editorial board is endorsing candidates for the ASUC Senate. Voters rarely know enough about each candidate to fill all 20 ranked choice spots, so we put in the work to see which candidates would most productively use their senate seats and which candidates just don’t deserve votes.

Vote ‘yes’ on the Student Transformation through Academic Recruitment and Retention referendum

coloredited_kellybaird_referenda2

After Proposition 209 passed in 1996, UC Berkeley students passed a $3 semesterly fee in 1999 to support low-income students of color. But decades later, this fee hasn’t increased to match the growing need to address UC Berkeley’s diversity issues.

That’s why you should vote “yes” on the Student Transformation through Academic Recruitment and Retention, or STARR, referendum.

Vote ‘yes’ on the Enrollment Clarification Act

coloredited_kellybaird_referenda1

It’s simple: If you’re seeking a degree at UC Berkeley, you should be able to vote for your student leaders. That’s why it’s important to vote “yes” on the Enrollment Clarification Act.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of the Editorial Board as written by the opinion editor.

• Jorge Carolinos

“In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to
    the value of the issues at stake.” By way of corollary, it adds: “That
    is why academic politics are so bitter.”

Sayre’s law