Cal track and field sets multiple records at Big Meet

track_aditiraghunath_file
Aditi Raghunath/File

Cal track and field endured a brutal loss this past Saturday, with the men and women both falling to Stanford at the annual Big Meet by scores of 89-51 and 110-47, respectively.

While this was a step back for the Bears, every loss comes with its silver linings — and this meet had plenty.

“This is a great competition,” said Cal head coach Tony Sandoval. “It’s great for track and field, great for Stanford and great for us. It brings out the best in us, and it was really good to see all the spirit on both sides with all the alums out there watching the meet.”

Freshman Camryn Rogers, who has dominated all season, was once again adamant on writing herself into the history books.

In the hammer, Rogers broke her own freshman record and, in turn, set a new school record with a throw of 65.28 meters. Rogers not only won the event for Cal, but set a Big Meet record in the event in the process.

Sophomore Emma DeSilva joined Rogers in making history, setting a Sri Lankan national record in the discus throw. DeSilva’s throw of 49.67 meters was good enough for fourth place in the competitive field.

In the jumps, redshirt junior Isabella Marten had an uncharacteristic meet. Marten lost her streak of first-place finishes in the triple jump with a third place finish, but came back with her first long jump victory of the season. Senior Ashley Anderson picked up some of the slack, winning the triple jump for Cal.

On the track side, the Bears missed senior Ashtyn Davis, who was absent during the finals of the Stanford Invitational and did not compete Saturday. Davis is one of Cal’s most reliable hurdlers, and the Bears are sorely missing his scoring.

“Our kids competed; we just don’t have enough bullets right now,” Sandoval said. “We’ll do our best to get ourselves ready for the next meet in a couple of weeks.”

Freshman Deshae Wise definitely made her presence known, racing in three individual events and one relay.

Wise won the 100-meter hurdles, placed third in the 200 meter and came in fourth in the 100 meter, setting personal bests in all three events. Wise also ran the 4×100 relay, helping the Bears earn a second-place finish with a time 46.35.

One of the best races of the day was the women’s 800 meter featuring junior Jordyn Colter. When the starter’s gun went off, Stanford senior Olivia Baker started out well ahead of the pack, building a 15-meter lead going into the second lap.

Colter, followed by two other Stanford runners, slowly closed the gap between them and the front Cardinal.

In the final stretch, three runners were right alongside Baker with Colter donning the lone blue in a sea of black and red. In the end, Baker edged out a victory in the last 10 meters, but Colter came in a close second with a time of 2:06.40, just .09 seconds short of the Cardinal.

The Bears will have a much deserved bye week this week as they’ll opting out of next week’s Mt. SAC Relays.

“(Junior) Tyler Brendel broke his shin,” Sandoval said. “He was the only one who would be competing, so we have an open week next week.”

Cal track and field will be seeing Stanford again April 20-21 for the Cardinal Team Classic.

Harshil Desai covers track & field. Contact him at [email protected].