How to cop a summer internship weeks before the end of the school year

linkedin_lfrick_file
Lianne Frick/File

Finding a summer internship is stressful. And the only thing worse than finding a summer internship is finding a summer internship in April. Most of your friends have been boasting about their hot-shot gigs at Google or Facebook for the past three months, and you’re looking at a mountain-high tower of applications about five weeks before the start of the position. Luckily, we’ve compiled some useful strategies to share with you, because — believe us — you’re going to need it.

Plug your LinkedIn profile
Word of mouth is an effective way to market yourself. Begin by casually adjusting your introductions when you first meet people and presenting yourself like so: “Hey, I’m ____, I study ____ and my LinkedIn is ____.” That way, your CS lab partner, that guy you met a fraternity party and the person who brews your coffee in the morning all know just how to find you!

Don’t underestimate the power of other social media platforms
We really mean it. If reaching out to recruiters via LinkedIn connections and emails hasn’t been successful, it may be time to spice things up. Nothing says dedication like sliding into your potential employer’s Instagram DMs or sending them a professional selfie on Snapchat.

Tape your resume around campus
This method is both loud and effective. Make your way over to the halls of Dwinelle with a tape roll in hand and start posting.

Be prepared to network at any moment
You know what that means. From now on, don’t even think about leaving your dorm without a briefcase and a tie. Dressing business formal will prepare you to make connections at any point in the day and really tie down that internship. Show recruiters you’re not here to play.

Advertise on Sproul Plaza
Grab a wooden box and stand tall and proud in the middle of Sproul Plaza as you desperately shout your need for internships. Come up with a flyering plan while you’re at it as well, except instead of handing out flyers, hand out handwritten letters begging people to hire you. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there.

While we’re not suggesting that finding an internship will be easy, these methods will bring you one step closer and will definitely help you stand out as an applicant.

Contact Shaked Salem at [email protected].