Berkeley carjacking ends in arrest in Oakland

crime_danielkim_file
Daniel Kim/File

A Berkeley auto burglary led to a chase and arrest in Oakland, according to a Nixle alert released Monday afternoon.

About 6:12 a.m., Berkeley Police Dispatch received a call that was initially about an auto burglary. But when officers responded to the 1600 block of Walnut Street, they made contact with the victim, who said that while she was getting into her car, a dark sedan occupied by two people pulled up and one male subject got out of the car. The victim was sitting in the driver’s seat of her black, Lexus RX 350 when the suspect allegedly pulled her out of the vehicle, assaulted her and then drove northbound on Walnut Street. Dispatch entered the car in the Stolen Vehicle System, according to the alert.

About 9:35 a.m., Dispatch was contacted by a helicopter from the California Highway Patrol, or CHP, who saw the Lexus at Golden Gate Fields. CHP tried to stop traffic and then the Lexus was involved in a collision with a second vehicle that was with the Lexus, the alert said.

CHP’s air unit continued to follow the vehicle and notified the Oakland Police Department to advise the police that a carjacking vehicle had entered their city, according to the alert.

The Lexus was then abandoned by the driver in front of an apartment complex on the 1300 block of Mandela Parkway. The suspect got into another vehicle that was parked nearby and tried to flee. The CHP air unit followed the vehicle and vectored in Oakland police. The suspect then crashed the second vehicle and attempted to flee on foot in the area of 10th and Pine streets when she was taken into custody without incident. The alert added that Oakland officers also recovered stolen property from the victim during the morning carjacking.

The alert said the investigation remains ongoing because there are still suspects at large and no details are immediately available.

Jessíca Jiménez is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and and follow her on Twitter at @jesscajimenez_dc.