President of Cato Institute Peter Goettler talks partisan politics, ‘tribalism’ at Berkeley Forum event

goettler_priyasundaesan_staff
Priya Sundaresan/Staff

Peter Goettler, president and CEO of the Cato Institute, spoke about the increasingly divisive nature of partisan politics Monday evening at a Berkeley Forum event.

In his presentation, titled “Proud to be ‘Tribeless,’ ” Goettler described the two mainstream political parties as “tribes” with their own group identities and ideologies. This is why, he said, when parties shift ideologies, people often notice their acquaintances changing their long-held beliefs; members who buy into the identity of a group are concerned more with what the “chief” of their tribe thinks than their personal values.

“One of the great attractions of tribalism is that we don’t have to think as much — thinking about what side you’re on rather than what you truly believe,” Goettler said during the event.

Using a slide with a pictures symbolizing controversial issues of today — a baby in utero for abortion, a plane for the military, a gun for gun control — Goettler pointed out that if he told the audience an individual’s opinion on one of the images, the audience would be able to guess the same person’s opinions on the other issues.

The Cato Institute, a research organization dedicated to libertarian principles, is financially independent from the two major parties and is unique in Washington, D.C., according to Goettler. Because of its firm adherence to libertarian principles, Goettler claimed, the institute’s values do not change depending on the political “fray.”

Goettler said he is still an optimist at heart despite the divisive current political environment.

“The spirit of tribalism has also been fueling the partisan divide,” Goettler said during his presentation. “I try to have perspective; people say that our country has never been so divided, but if you look back at the founding of the republic, the election of 1800 was pretty partisan. I once had a journalist tell me, ‘Well, the 1850s weren’t so peachy, either.’ ”

In addition to a number of UC Berkeley students, the event drew a crowd of community members as well — including a candidate for California governor, Robert Griffis.

Community member Richard Banks said he thought it was natural for people to align themselves with the parties that best represent their views on the political spectrum.

“I don’t necessarily disagree with a lot of what he said; I don’t necessarily agree with it either,” Banks said. “I think his analysis is superficial. I think he’s missing big drivers of what he doesn’t like — for example, what’s causing tribalism.”

Campus freshman Abhinav Kejriwal said he was impressed by Goettler’s speech.

“I think he was a great speaker,” Kejriwal said. “He’s provided a great filter to analyze and study situations that are happening today; that filter of tribalism will influence my decision, my mode of thinking, when I look at situations.”

Contact Alexandra Stassinopoulos at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @AE_Stass.

• Nunya Beeswax

I see plenty of tribalism on both sides of the divide. Trump’s defenders seem completely unconcerned with his many moral failings, because he’s “their guy”–and in the pages of this very paper the toxicity of leftist identity politics reigns supreme. Principles, apparently, are for saps.

• Jorge Carolinos

A lot of principle it seems is in getting over with the agenda. The constitution is resolute when it works out for you and a living document when it doesn’t.

The lefts goal of open borders and the rights goal of anti-abortion is incremental, once they ban a certain procedure or create a new date for when you can’t have an abortion they will try a new scheme, Once the dreamers get in then on to the next group, parents of citizens will be the next suffering group. The pro lifers think the open borders types are amoral schemers and the open borders types think the pro-lifers are amoral schemers. Both groups are all about the principle of getting over.

• Jorge Carolinos

Once upon a time political violence was universally loathed by the left, then along came antifa.

I could never figure out how poor Born again Christians went for Reaganomics.

Morality and politics is also interesting, Clinton is OK but Newt Gingrinch is a cheater… Newt is OK but Clinton is a cheater.

etc…